The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Aug 18, 2006, 10:06pm
Official Forum Member

NCAA/NFHS rule differences

nit-picky ?? re: the Time to Replace a DQ'd player...

NFHS - 30 secs, warning horn at 20 seconds. (This means they sound the warning with ten seconds left, right?)

NCAA - 20 secs, warning horn at 5 seconds. (referring to the above, would they sound a warning with 15 secs left?)

Also, I don't have my NFHS book handy, but I've been reading the differences between Indirect and Direct technical fouls in the NCAA book. I never realized that slapping the backboard or grasping the ring (excessive after a dunk) is an Indirect "T". Some of the other reasons for an Indirect also caught me by surprise. I would have thought these were to be direct T's...are they defined the same in HS?

Also, when you make an Indirect call, do you report it as such at the table?

Thanks!
Old Fri Aug 18, 2006, 11:21pm
Official Forum Member

No they are not defined the same. All T's in HS are direct T's. Indirect T's are such that they are not charged to the player which I love for the slapping and dunking rule.
Old Fri Aug 18, 2006, 11:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by btaylor64
No they are not defined the same. All T's in HS are direct T's. Indirect T's are such that they are not charged to the player which I love for the slapping and dunking rule.
So in HS, a coach is never given an indirect T? Like for a lineup mistake in the scorebook or bench personell acting unsporting?

Or did you mean that in HS all T's toward a player are direct?
Old Sat Aug 19, 2006, 12:36am
Official Forum Member

Quite honestly, I don't know what Taylor is trying to say. It's not very clear.

Under NFHS, direct T's charged to bench personnel are charged indirectly to the head coach. Those are the only indirect T's under NFHS.

A mistake in the roster is an administrative T. It is not charged to the head coach, either directly or indirectly.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith

Last edited by BktBallRef; Sat Aug 19, 2006 at 01:05am.
Old Sat Aug 19, 2006, 01:06am
Official Forum Member

To me an indirect T means that it is not charged to anyone and it is not a team foul. In HS all T's are counted toward the team foul count. Sorry for the confusion.
Old Sat Aug 19, 2006, 01:28am
Official Forum Member

Gotcha...any info on the time replacing a DQ'd player...the differences between HS and NCAA?
Old Sat Aug 19, 2006, 08:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WAWhistleBlower
nit-picky ?? re: the Time to Replace a DQ'd player...

NFHS - 30 secs, warning horn at 20 seconds. (This means they sound the warning with ten seconds left, right?)

NCAA - 20 secs, warning horn at 5 seconds. (referring to the above, would they sound a warning with 15 secs left?)

Thanks!
This wording has always cause a minor amount of confusion. The warning horns are meant to indicate that the time alloted for the replacement (or timeout or intermission) is about to end...not that it just started.

The numbers just depend on whether you count up to the number or count down from the number. The NFHS assumes the count is going up from 0. When you get to 20, you sound the warning. The NCAA assumes the count is going down and the horn is sounded with 5 seconds left. The NCAA is more logical since ALL other timers count down in basketball....game clock, shot clock, timeout clocks, etc.