The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Nov 21, 2003, 11:12am
Jerry Blum

Sunday I am doing my first NCAA DIII game(JV Men's).

I was just wondering if some of you guys could give me a quick list of some of the differences between NCAA and NFHS.
I know the obvious like shot clock but was wondering about some of the more subtle differences.

Thanks.
Old Fri Nov 21, 2003, 11:16am
In Memoriam

Almost at the end of the NFHS rule book,there are charts listing the differences between NFHS and NCAA(m&w) rules.
Old Fri Nov 21, 2003, 11:17am
Official Forum Member

There's a nice chart in the back of the NFHS rules book that goes over the differences.

Be sure you know the Point of Interruption and what you're going to do on a "T."

Know the differences in Time Outs.

Know the different mechanics.

And regardless of how ready you think you are, the first time that shot clock horn goes off, you'll be wondering "what the **** was that!!"
Old Fri Nov 21, 2003, 11:18am
Jerry Blum

Thanks Jurassic Referee. Now that I see them there I remember that they were there but forgot about it.

Thanks again.
Old Fri Nov 21, 2003, 11:22am
Do not give a damn!!

Get an NCAA Rulebook.

I realize this might be short notice, but you really should by an NCAA Rulebook. Or better yet, download one off the NCAA website.

The back of the NF book is alright, but many of the differences need more explaining. Like the Airborne Shooter rule. Yes, in Men's there is not "Airborne shooter," but you have to understand how it affects what you call. Unfortunatly the NF Rulebook differences does not explain that very well.

Here is the link. http://www.ncaa.org/library/rules.html

Peace

Old Fri Nov 21, 2003, 04:05pm
Official Forum Member

Shot clock and team control fouls are two big differences. Not only do you not want to jump at the horn, you also have to remember that the shot clock horn does not stop play. If there is a shot in the air and the horn goes, wait for the result. Also know your reset rules.
Old Mon Nov 24, 2003, 02:57pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up

How did you first college game go?
Old Mon Nov 24, 2003, 03:58pm
If you need me, text me!

Jerry's Game

He started a new thread... http://www.officialforum.com/thread/10941
Old Mon Nov 24, 2003, 08:02pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Get an NCAA Rulebook.

Quote:
Originally posted by JRutledge
I realize this might be short notice, but you really should by an NCAA Rulebook. Or better yet, download one off the NCAA website.

The back of the NF book is alright, but many of the differences need more explaining. Like the Airborne Shooter rule. Yes, in Men's there is not "Airborne shooter," but you have to understand how it affects what you call. Unfortunatly the NF Rulebook differences does not explain that very well.

Peace

Can you explain that one for me? I have heard it said that there is no rule in NCAA men and there is in women. And that is supported by the ruel differeneces in the back of the book. But then why does it have an Airborne shooter in rule 4-1 (NCAA). The note on 4-1-2 looks exactly the same as the NFHS rule to me.
Old Mon Nov 24, 2003, 08:13pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Re: Re: Get an NCAA Rulebook.

Quote:
Originally posted by oc
Quote:
Originally posted by JRutledge

Peace

Can you explain that one for me? I have heard it said that there is no rule in NCAA men and there is in women. And that is supported by the ruel differeneces in the back of the book. But then why does it have an Airborne shooter in rule 4-1 (NCAA). The note on 4-1-2 looks exactly the same as the NFHS rule to me.
NCAAM includes the concept of the airborne shooter, the difference is in how it's applied to a player control foul. Under ncaaw & NFHS you can have a player control foul if the fouler is in control of the ball (duh! ) OR the airborne shooter fouls. Under ncaam PC only on the player in control of the ball only - once the shot is released it's a plain old vanilla foul.