Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Oct 02, 2005, 12:26pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to UmpJM
Question

Gentlemen,

Please view the play in the video clip linked below and comment on whether or not pass interference is a proper call under both NCAA and NFHS rules. If your answer would be different under the different rule codes, please say why. Also, if pass interference is the proper call, please describe the resulting enforcement in terms of spotting the ball, down, etc., again any diffferences between NCAA & NFHS.

The play originates with the offense at the defense's 25 yd. line, 4th down, 20 yds. to go for a 1st down.

http://home.comcast.net/~jmvideos/DefPI.wmv

This video is about 3.5MB in size, so probably best viewed over a broadband connection.

Thanks.

JM
Old Sun Oct 02, 2005, 12:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by CoachJM
Gentlemen,

Please view the play in the video clip linked below and comment on whether or not pass interference is a proper call under both NCAA and NFHS rules. If your answer would be different under the different rule codes, please say why. Also, if pass interference is the proper call, please describe the resulting enforcement in terms of spotting the ball, down, etc., again any diffferences between NCAA & NFHS.

The play originates with the offense at the defense's 25 yd. line, 4th down, 20 yds. to go for a 1st down.

http://home.comcast.net/~jmvideos/DefPI.wmv

This video is about 3.5MB in size, so probably best viewed over a broadband connection.

Thanks.

JM
I do not see any foul by any set of rules. It does not appear the DB got his arm at all, but the official is right there, so maybe he saw something the tape does not show. It looks like he reaches and tries to reach out and grab the receivers arm, but it doesn't look like he actually grabs it.
Old Sun Oct 02, 2005, 01:16pm
Official Forum Member

From this angle I don't see anything that could be called either offensive or defensive pass interference. I did find it interesting that the official took the time to signal an incomplete pass and then ... threw the flag.

IMO, pass interference is not the proper call, but if it was, defensive PI would result in a half the distance to the goal penalty with a first down for A from the 12 1/2 yd line.
Old Sun Oct 02, 2005, 01:46pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally posted by MJT
I do not see any foul by any set of rules.
Even Canadian Rules?!? I'm intrigued that you know our game so well.
Old Sun Oct 02, 2005, 01:49pm
Chain of Fools

From this angle it doesn't appear

to me to be DPI but I'm not there. The defender appears to have reached out but whether he touched the receiver, I can't say for sure. If there was contact, it was slight and did not appear to have altered the movement of the receiver as the ball was to the right of and behind the receiver.

What level ball was this? The kids appear to be jr. high age. What was the experience level of the official which threw the flag?
Old Sun Oct 02, 2005, 02:03pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Lightbulb Canadian Ruling

Quote:
Originally posted by CoachJM
Please view the play in the video clip linked below and comment on whether or not pass interference is a proper call under Canadian, NCAA and NFHS rules
I got nuttin'.
Old Sun Oct 02, 2005, 03:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by kentref
From this angle I don't see anything that could be called either offensive or defensive pass interference. I did find it interesting that the official took the time to signal an incomplete pass and then ... threw the flag.

IMO, pass interference is not the proper call, but if it was, defensive PI would result in a half the distance to the goal penalty with a first down for A from the 12 1/2 yd line.
I looked at the play again. Neither the intended receiver nor the other receiver that is moving from left to right react as if they were interfered with. I've still got nothing here re defensive PI.
I commented before on the official's reaction. I'm still wondering why he starts to signal incomplete pass and then stops and tosses the flag.

CoachJM: Can you provide any other info or perspectives on this play?
Old Sun Oct 02, 2005, 06:02pm
Official Forum Member

I gotta say that seeing this play from 80 yards away in the press box, I got nothin. Official is right on top of it though, so based on the flag that I saw that yello bullet come flying outta his pants, I've got what he's got.
Old Sun Oct 02, 2005, 06:35pm
Do not give a damn!!

It looks like it is possible that the defender could have touched the receiverÂ’s left shoulder or arm. That is really hard to see on the tape. The official was right on top of the play. If there was contact on the play, it does not look like there was enough contact.

There is a Big Ten official that works the Back Judge position has told our association several times is, "There is going to be contact on every pass play. Our job is to determine when that contact caused and advantage."

Peace
Old Sun Oct 02, 2005, 09:47pm
Official Forum Member

I've got nothing and I don't think its a foul even though the video is far away. The official may be right on top of the play but he is out of position, starts to signal incomplete pass then throws the flag. I can tell just from this clip that this official is not a high caliber official (in nice words). But that's how youth ball usually is!

I just hope they didn't place the ball on the 1 yard line since the foul occured in the endzone.
Old Sun Oct 02, 2005, 09:59pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to waltjp
Maybe he was calling PI on himself for screening the defender. What's this official doing back there anyway?
Old Sun Oct 02, 2005, 10:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by waltjp
Maybe he was calling PI on himself for screening the defender. What's this official doing back there anyway?
He's obviously the backjudge on a 3-man crew.
Old Mon Oct 03, 2005, 09:13am
Official Forum Member

REPLY: From what I observed, he should have kept the flag in his pocket. There was nothing on that play that even came close to warranting a flag. I have no idea what the official saw there.
Old Mon Oct 03, 2005, 09:52am
Official Forum Member

I too agree that there was probably no pass interference in question.

I think CoachJM knows that, so what is the real purpose of having us look at this play?

Not sure, but I hope it is to better educate officials working in this league. New officials tend to call PI too much, at least that has been my experience when working lower level games with a new official.

Again just wondering...

Old Mon Oct 03, 2005, 10:50am
Official Forum Member

Based on the angle of the video I agree with everybody, I see incomplete lets go to the next down. When you run the play in slo-mo, the only thing I see that the official could possibly hang his hat or flag on is the defender is initially watching the ball, then as the pass gets closer to the receiver, the defender forgets the ball and plays the man, but what a stretch.

I vote for nothing, put hanky back in pants and go on.