The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Aug 16, 2006, 06:23am
Official Forum Member

Setting ball down

Inner city summer league...ages 18U...10 second clock, no shot clock. All teams but one are city HS teams preparing for upcoming season, including some younger kids trying to make each team. Remaining team is AAU travel. League allows this because primary focus is keeping kids off the streets. Games not involving AAU girls are very competitive...games with AAU girls are one-sided. Here's the rules question: After AAU team is well ahead, they are instructed by their coach to do some things that are often interpreted by the other teams as "rubbing it in". Believe it or not, this league has playoffs, so when some teams meet with AAU girls again there may be some difficult-to-control emotional responses. Most actions appear to be legal. One thing bugs me though...when AAU is safely in the lead with little time left in the half, they will dribble ball past half-court line, set the ball down, and get back on defense. Is this a violation? Delay? Unsportsmanlike? Thanks.
Old Wed Aug 16, 2006, 06:35am
In Memoriam

You're thinking too much imo. Just referee the game. There's no rules against the action that you described. Maybe the AAU coach just want to work on his D....who knows, who cares?
Old Wed Aug 16, 2006, 06:42am
In Memoriam

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellnier
... they will dribble ball past half-court line, set the ball down, and get back on defense. Is this a violation? Delay? Unsportsmanlike? Thanks.
Sounds tasteless and unsporting, but leave it alone.
Old Wed Aug 16, 2006, 07:11am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
One thing bugs me though...when AAU is safely in the lead with little time left in the half, they will dribble ball past half-court line, set the ball down, and get back on defense. Is this a violation? Delay? Unsportsmanlike? Thanks.
Would you rather he continue to run up the score?

Leave it alone.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Wed Aug 16, 2006, 08:02am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
After AAU team is well ahead, they are instructed by their coach to do some things that are often interpreted by the other teams as "rubbing it in".
Interpreted by the other team or interpreted by you? What are some of the things to which you are referring?

Last edited by Raymond; Wed Aug 16, 2006 at 03:54pm.
Old Wed Aug 16, 2006, 03:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick
Sounds tasteless and unsporting, but leave it alone.

Agree...

If I were that coach, I'd have my players keep playing but with restrictions on how they can play that will actually benefit them...such as:
  • only dribble with weaker hand
  • Long range shooters can only shoot layups
  • Inside players can only shoot outside of 15'
  • Layups can only be with the weaker han
  • Everyone must touch the ball before a shot is allowed
  • Don't allow them to dribble...passes only
As a soccer coach, I've done similar things when I've gained a substantial lead. I put players in their weakest positions...forwards played defense, defenders played forward. It made them work at something different. It gave up a couple of points because the forwards were not very good defenders.

If I were friendly with the coach, I might even make the suggestion that he try one or more of these things rather than just giving it to the other team.
Old Wed Aug 16, 2006, 03:50pm
Do not give a damn!!

If they want to play defense, let them. Leave this alone and officiate as if it did not even happen.

Peace
Old Wed Aug 16, 2006, 05:25pm
Official Forum Member

Here's another situation for you guys.

I've never done this, but know a guy who has a few times. In some of the summer tournaments you only get 3 timeouts per game. Now let's say you've got a sub that you need to get in for whatever reason. You can't get a whistle and you can't waste a time out. How would you react to the coach going,

"____ (insert name) come over here and hand me the ball."

The kid does as requested by the coach. The sub is at the table. Do you call an unsportsmanlike T or out of bounds? Does the score matter? etc?

Last edited by ATXCoach; Wed Aug 16, 2006 at 05:28pm.
Old Wed Aug 16, 2006, 05:34pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATXCoach
Here's another situation for you guys.

I've never done this, but know a guy who has a few times. In some of the summer tournaments you only get 3 timeouts per game. Now let's say you've got a sub that you need to get in for whatever reason. You can't get a whistle and you can't waste a time out. How would you react to the coach going,

"____ (insert name) come over here and hand me the ball."

The kid does as requested by the coach. The sub is at the table. Do you call an unsportsmanlike T or out of bounds? Does the score matter? etc?
If it's one of the coach's players, call the violation. If it's an opposing player and he does so, call the "T" on the coach.

Pretty straightforward.....
Old Wed Aug 16, 2006, 07:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
If it's one of the coach's players, call the violation. If it's an opposing player and he does so, call the "T" on the coach.

Pretty straightforward.....
I'm curious, why would you call the "T" on the coach if an opposing player does so?
Old Wed Aug 16, 2006, 07:33pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mwanr1
I'm curious, why would you call the "T" on the coach if an opposing player does so?
Well....because the coach used an unsporting act imo to cause the opposing team to commit a turnover.

Would you let that coach and his team benefit from that act without doing something about it?
Old Wed Aug 16, 2006, 07:40pm
Official Forum Member

So if the coach of the defensive team say or yell out "shoot the ball" and the player do so, will you give him a "t" for that action?
Old Wed Aug 16, 2006, 07:44pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
Well....because the coach used an unsporting act imo to cause the opposing team to commit a turnover.

Would you let that coach and his team benefit from that act without doing something about it?
I am curious as to what player would actually turn the ball over to the opponent's coach upon request? Wouldn't he just think "screw you" to himself, and keep on going?
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Wed Aug 16, 2006, 07:51pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mwanr1
So if the coach of the defensive team say or yell out "shoot the ball" and the player do so, will you give him a "t" for that action?
Under certain conditions, I sureasheck would give a coach a "T" for that. If the coach did that deliberately to distract an opponent, and it worked....or if the coach did something that directly causes a turnover, as in the situation above, I'm gonna call it every time. Imo, it's unsporting and unethical behavior on the coach's part to try and gain an unfair advantage with unsporting actions like that.

Now, what would you do in those situations?
Old Wed Aug 16, 2006, 07:59pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve
I am curious as to what player would actually turn the ball over to the opponent's coach upon request? Wouldn't he just think "screw you" to himself, and keep on going?
Yup, if the player's got any clue at all, he'd ignore the coach. I'd still quietly tell the coach though that he's better cut that sh!t out. Much as I'd like to see it happen sometimes, I really don't need two oppopsing coaches screaming at each other during a game....and I'll guarantee that the opposing coach is gonna be doing a whole buncha screaming at somebody if his opposite causes one of his kids to commit a turnover. The officials in that game don't need those extraneous headaches imo.

Nip it; nip it in the bud.