The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jul 23, 2006, 02:41pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Question Error on Monk?

Watched the latest episode of Monk last night and in the story, he temporarily became an assistant HS girls basketball coach (don't ask). It appeared to me there were two mistakes made by the producers (gee - that never happens in movies or on TV). One was that he did not lose coaching box privileges after the head coach was tossed. The other came right at the end of the game. His team scored to take a two point lead with just over two seconds to go. The clock then ran out. However, the officials put two seconds back on the clock and let the other team inbound. Of course, the other team hit a three to win. There did not appear to be a timeout called after the initial basket and, unless they changed the rules for California state girls play during a commercial (the show takes place in the S.F.area), the clock does not stop after a made basket. Should I just chalk this up to entertainment or am I missing something (which wouldn't be that unusual after all)?
Old Sun Jul 23, 2006, 03:09pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett
Watched the latest episode of Monk last night and in the story, he temporarily became an assistant HS girls basketball coach (don't ask). It appeared to me there were two mistakes made by the producers (gee - that never happens in movies or on TV). One was that he did not lose coaching box privileges after the head coach was tossed. The other came right at the end of the game. His team scored to take a two point lead with just over two seconds to go. The clock then ran out. However, the officials put two seconds back on the clock and let the other team inbound. Of course, the other team hit a three to win. There did not appear to be a timeout called after the initial basket and, unless they changed the rules for California state girls play during a commercial (the show takes place in the S.F.area), the clock does not stop after a made basket. Should I just chalk this up to entertainment or am I missing something (which wouldn't be that unusual after all)?
YU.P., Padgett. You definitely are.
mick
Old Sun Jul 23, 2006, 03:59pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Quote:
If you look closely, you will see that it is the Polish official from the 1972 Gold Medal game.
Old Sun Jul 23, 2006, 04:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
My wife and I watched the episode (love Monk) and she was laughing at me pointing out, uh, inconsistencies. In addition to what Mark saw:

After the phantom last 2 second TO, they put the ball in play at half court...

The officials allowed Coach Monk to blow a whistle on the bench during the game...

The officials refered to the teams as Purple and Yellow vice Blue and Gold...

When the the official threw the acting head coach out of the game (her only game of the season as coach, by the way...don't ask) he refered to her as "Coach Teeger" (her last name)...never heard an official call a coach by name during an ejection...

The official calls a player-possesion foul against Monk's team leading to the T's ejecting the coach. After reporting the offensive foul and T's (not very well by the way ) he says "#13 you're shooting"...

After the ejection the coach snuck back on the court in the mascot's suit, but soon took the head off and the official clearly saw her, but he never said anything, never called another T, never had her removed...

One official ran the court with his whistle dangling around his neck and he was wearing a belt (can you believe it??)...

All-in-all, looked like one of my games
Old Sun Jul 23, 2006, 06:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corndog89
My wife and I watched the episode (love Monk) and she was laughing at me pointing out, uh, inconsistencies. In addition to what Mark saw:

After the phantom last 2 second TO, they put the ball in play at half court...

The officials allowed Coach Monk to blow a whistle on the bench during the game...

The officials refered to the teams as Purple and Yellow vice Blue and Gold...

When the the official threw the acting head coach out of the game (her only game of the season as coach, by the way...don't ask) he refered to her as "Coach Teeger" (her last name)...never heard an official call a coach by name during an ejection...

The official calls a player-possesion foul against Monk's team leading to the T's ejecting the coach. After reporting the offensive foul and T's (not very well by the way ) he says "#13 you're shooting"...

After the ejection the coach snuck back on the court in the mascot's suit, but soon took the head off and the official clearly saw her, but he never said anything, never called another T, never had her removed...

One official ran the court with his whistle dangling around his neck and he was wearing a belt (can you believe it??)...

All-in-all, looked like one of my games

After the phantom last 2 second TO, they put the ball in play at half court...I believe this an NBA rule.

The officials allowed Coach Monk to blow a whistle on the bench during the game...One official took the whistle away.

Has FED changed the style for officials' shirts?

And I can't believe a HS varsity team wouldn't have at least one assistant coach. When the original coach died, she/he would take over. Or at least a regular staff member at the school.

Bob
Old Sun Jul 23, 2006, 10:00pm
Official Forum Member

I rarely nitpick these shows, but I hate that people watching them think what happened in the show is what the rules REALLY say and what we do in our games are screwups.

Fans, I can understand. Its the coaches that do this.
Old Sun Jul 23, 2006, 10:58pm
Official Forum Member

Man, I knew we'd never watch a basketball game the same way again after we started officiating, but I didn't know it would change the way we watched TV!!!
Old Sun Jul 23, 2006, 11:42pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to TussAgee11
Was watching a movie the other day called Rebound with Martin Lawrence. Little johnny shoots as time expires, misses, gets fouled. Defense is celebrating, other refs running off the court. The other ref is just standing there, whistle in his mouth. About 20 seconds later, kids are crying, etc. he blows his whistle and goes "FOUL, SMELTERS (their nickname) shoot 2!".

Then, magically, there are kids on the lane as he is shooting these shots (if I recall). Little Johnny jumps over the line on each attempt.

But hey, Martin Lawrence got the girl!
Old Mon Jul 24, 2006, 07:31am
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Coulda been worse. Packer could have been doing the play-by-play on the show!
Old Mon Jul 24, 2006, 09:00am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 26 Year Gap
Coulda been worse. Packer could have been doing the play-by-play on the show!

I thought Packer wasn't in season right now
Old Mon Jul 24, 2006, 11:42am
M.A.S.H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluezebra
After the phantom last 2 second TO, they put the ball in play at half court...I believe this an NBA rule.

The officials allowed Coach Monk to blow a whistle on the bench during the game...One official took the whistle away.

Has FED changed the style for officials' shirts?

And I can't believe a HS varsity team wouldn't have at least one assistant coach. When the original coach died, she/he would take over. Or at least a regular staff member at the school.

Bob
I was wondering if anyone was going to comment on how they allowed him a whistle and he was blowing it during play.

I also noticed these officals were wearing the grey pin-striped shirts!!

Bob,

FED has not changed the style of the shirts; they are still black and white stripes.
Old Fri Jul 28, 2006, 06:41pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
One was that he did not lose coaching box privileges after the head coach was tossed.
So it bothered you that he didn't lose the coaching box after the head coach's ejection, but it didn't bother you that he was up and pacing the whole sideline while blowing a whistle while the head coach was still in the game?

I also noticed that the official didn't seem to mind Natalie sneaking back into the gym in the mascot's uniform. Where's Bobby Valentine's fake mustache when you need it?
Old Fri Jul 28, 2006, 06:48pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
BTW, I thought the gray shirts looked alright.
Old Sat Jul 29, 2006, 12:26am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
I just don't like Natalie as well as Sharona. It hasn't been the same since she moved to Jersey.
Old Sat Jul 29, 2006, 02:11am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainmaker
I just don't like Natalie as well as Sharona. It hasn't been the same since she moved to Jersey.
Really? My wife and I like Natalie so much better, though we really liked Sharona too.
Closed Thread