Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jul 13, 2006, 11:32am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmp44
A rule of thumb that I've always used, is that if the offensive player made contact with the defender's chest/torso, the defender obtained LGP and a PC is the proper call.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TADW
Another hint: you should look at where the contact occurs.
I've heard this rule of thumb, and I've even used it in my pregame; but always with the understanding that the defender is not moving toward the dribbler. Yes, notice where the contact occurs, fine. But make sure that if the defender was moving forward to challege the dribbler, the defender stopped short of contact.

I know you guys know this. But sometimes we get so caught up in our easy-to-remember catch-phrases that we forget they're just shorthand for something a little more complicated.
Old Thu Jul 13, 2006, 11:35am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckElias
I've heard this rule of thumb, and I've even used it in my pregame; but always with the understanding that the defender is not moving toward the dribbler. Yes, notice where the contact occurs, fine. But make sure that if the defender was moving forward to challege the dribbler, the defender stopped short of contact.

I know you guys know this. But sometimes we get so caught up in our easy-to-remember catch-phrases that we forget they're just shorthand for something a little more complicated.
It's scary to admit but this was my first thought as well.

There seems to be a focus on not giving the defender the charge in all torso/torso contact plays. Call it yes, but make sure the defender is legal, especially in bang/bang plays.
Old Thu Jul 13, 2006, 11:43am
Official Forum Member

IREF4U -- however one caveat to remeber is a player who is airborne for a shot -- the defender has to have his position established before the offensive player leaves the ground -- this is the only way i could see why you might have been seeing blocks v. charges.
Old Thu Jul 13, 2006, 12:46pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by IREFU2
I am looking for the rule about Time and Distance when it comes to the Block/Charge & Legal Guarding Position. I know the defender has to give the dribbler a chance to avoid him.
See case book play 10.6.2SitA. The ruling applies equally to other offensive players as well as the dribbler.

Time/distance applies to screening principles. See NFHS rules 4-40 and 10-6-3.

Last edited by Jurassic Referee; Thu Jul 13, 2006 at 12:48pm.
Old Thu Jul 13, 2006, 02:19pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
The way I've been able to make it work in real time, is to

(a) ref the defense, and (b) feel the beat. Think of the defender being in LGP as one thump of the snare drum. Think of the contact as a thump of the bass drum. If the rhythm of the play is Boom ---Tzeet then it's a block. If it's Tzeet -- Boom it's a charge. (I can't bring myself to call this the rhythm method -- can anyone think of a better name?)

Also regarding the cliche of seeing the contact in the torso, remember that a defender can "take a charge" even if he's not facing the dribbler. If the defender is just standing there waving to his mom in the stands, and doesn't move, and the dribbler plows into the defender's shoulder, it's still a charge. LGP only applies to a defender who's guarding. This poor sap is clueless, but he's still entitled to his spot on the floor, as long as he got there first.
Old Thu Jul 13, 2006, 02:41pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by deecee
IREF4U -- however one caveat to remeber is a player who is airborne for a shot -- the defender has to have his position established before the offensive player leaves the ground -- this is the only way i could see why you might have been seeing blocks v. charges.
He doesn't have to be shooting in order to get a place to land; only airborne.
Old Thu Jul 13, 2006, 07:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainmaker

Also regarding the cliche of seeing the contact in the torso, remember that a defender can "take a charge" even if he's not facing the dribbler. If the defender is just standing there waving to his mom in the stands, and doesn't move, and the dribbler plows into the defender's shoulder, it's still a charge.
Maybe in theory, but in practice all your games will be reffing kids who spend their time waving to their mom in the stands if you call it this way.

Not that there's anything wrong with that...just sayin'.
Old Fri Jul 14, 2006, 12:14am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_ref
Maybe in theory, but in practice all your games will be reffing kids who spend their time waving to their mom in the stands if you call it this way.

Not that there's anything wrong with that...just sayin'.
You're right, 'cause it's such good defense to waive at your mom that it should be illegal.

Just sayin'
Old Fri Jul 14, 2006, 07:04am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells
You're right, 'cause it's such good defense to waive at your mom that it should be illegal.

Just sayin'
The point is not that waving (not "waiving") should be illegal. The point is that if the kid is standing there waving (not "waiving") to the crowd, he isn't really disadvantaged by being bumped into.

If he's run over and knocked three rows into the bleachers, then maybe we have something, but until then. . .
Old Fri Jul 14, 2006, 07:35am
Official Forum Member

In this illustration Chuck gives an example of waving (not "waiving"):

Old Sun Jul 16, 2006, 09:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmp44
A rule of thumb that I've always used, is that if the offensive player made contact with the defender's chest/torso, the defender obtained LGP and a PC is the proper call.
-------------------------------------------

I am assuming that you have both of the defender's feet set and you don't have him leaning way into the OP, right?
Old Sun Jul 16, 2006, 10:01pm
Official Forum Member

Define set for me? Because if by set you mean planted in cement, then no. If defender is sliding side to side (and yes, without 'leaning' into the offensive player) and offensive player dribbles forward, makes contact in the chest, and we have a crash because of it, you better give me a darn good reason to not call a PC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by refnrev

I am assuming that you have both of the defender's feet set and you don't have him leaning way into the OP, right?
Old Mon Jul 17, 2006, 01:06am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by refnrev

By rule, after a defender has attained a legal guarding position, there is no subsequent requirement to have any feet set when contact occurs. See NFHS rule 4-23-3.
Old Mon Jul 17, 2006, 12:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
By rule, after a defender has attained a legal guarding position, there is no subsequent requirement to have any feet set when contact occurs. See NFHS rule 4-23-3.
My point exactly.