The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jul 08, 2006, 01:44pm
Official Forum Member

why the three point shot

Quote:
The three-point shot is "good" for teams that run an offense to get someone open on the outside. I don't think it was intended for "last second desperation heaves". So, I'd either make them not a try, or call it a try but it's only worth two points.
I don't think that was the intent when the shot was created. I think the intent was to force defenses further out to the permiter to open up the court and help the game be more fluid. But I agree the intent was never for heaves and have thought whether 3s should only be from the front court. (I cringe everytime I hear someone suggest backcourt heaves should be 4 points...)
Old Sat Jul 22, 2006, 10:47pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Quote:
Originally Posted by hhawk
I don't think that was the intent when the shot was created. I think the intent was to force defenses further out to the permiter to open up the court and help the game be more fluid. But I agree the intent was never for heaves and have thought whether 3s should only be from the front court. (I cringe everytime I hear someone suggest backcourt heaves should be 4 points...)
Most of them [during the season anyway] end up on the 11:00 news. Isn't 3 points and all that publicity better than 4 points?
Old Mon Jul 24, 2006, 12:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanFitzRef
My partner deemed this play a 'pass'. Player got two shots, if he hits both we go to overtime. The other partner and myself (three-person) wanted to bring him over to confer, but he said "pass" right away. Kid missed the first, made the second. Game over.

After the game, we discussed the play, and came to the conclussion that we should have given three shots on the play, for the sheer stupidity of the p[layer on team A for fouling in that situation!!!
SeanFitzRef
You should still have gotten together and helped your partner see the error of his ways, I don't care if he said "pass" on the play. Our number one responsibility is to get the call right, sure you would have taken some major heat from the coach, but that is our job. We all have brain farts out on the court, we need be strong/good partners and help each other out when this happens.
Old Mon Jul 24, 2006, 02:15pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonRef
SeanFitzRef
You should still have gotten together and helped your partner see the error of his ways, I don't care if he said "pass" on the play. Our number one responsibility is to get the call right, sure you would have taken some major heat from the coach, but that is our job. We all have brain farts out on the court, we need be strong/good partners and help each other out when this happens.
How do you 100% know that you were right and your partner was wrong?

Are you in the habit of questioning your partner's judgement calls?
Old Mon Jul 24, 2006, 02:30pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonRef
SeanFitzRef
With all do respect that is wrong. This is a judgment call. I think this "get it right" perspective goes too far some times. Of course you have to get it right, but judgment calls are just that "A judgment call." You cannot come in and change that even if you think it is wrong. All you can do is give information and use that information to help make the call. This is why I cannot stand this "we have to get it right" point of view. Of course we have to get the play right, that is what we are there for in the first place. When you need to give more influence is when you are going to totally mess up a rule. This is not one of those situations.

Peace
Old Wed Jul 26, 2006, 12:20pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to SeanFitzRef
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
With all do respect that is wrong. This is a judgment call. I think this "get it right" perspective goes too far some times. Of course you have to get it right, but judgment calls are just that "A judgment call." You cannot come in and change that even if you think it is wrong. All you can do is give information and use that information to help make the call. This is why I cannot stand this "we have to get it right" point of view. Of course we have to get the play right, that is what we are there for in the first place. When you need to give more influence is when you are going to totally mess up a rule. This is not one of those situations.

Peace
JRut,

Thanks for speaking on this. "Getting it right" refers more to rules than another person's judgement, IMO. How can one ref tell another what he\she saw was wrong if they are focusing on their own responsibilities on the court? If it is a call in the 'gray areas' on the court, that is one thing (basically free throw line area). Anywhere else on the court, it had better be an 'Oh My Goodness!!!!!!!! ' play in order for another partner to come and get it. Again, just my opinion.
Old Wed Jul 26, 2006, 04:46pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Had one of these 10 days ago. A non-patched guy calls OOB on the sideline from the lead. He did not see the tip out of bounds by the other team. I went to him and asked if he saw the tip? He said he hadn't and reversed his call. The coach who lost the ball asked what happened and I told him he did not see the tip. The coach replied that '2 of us did' and the play resumed.