The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old Fri Jun 23, 2006, 10:22pm
Statistician/Ref Hybrid
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: 127.0.0.1
Posts: 991
If this wasn't a dream...

I had a weird basketball dream and wondered what the appropriate ruling (any ruleset) would be if this actually happened.

I was an assistant coach for a team and during a time out in the closing seconds, the opposing team's coach came over to our huddle to listen to what we were planning to do to tie or win the game.

As soon as I noticed, I broke the huddle and started to make noise so to keep him from hearing anything. All while wondering "why aren't the refs doing anything? Surely they could T him or something."

I imagine this would easily qualify as unsporting conduct. But if it was me officiating, I'd be tempted to give a flagrant T and toss the coach since this so blatant.
__________________
Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama

The center of attention as the lead & trail. me
Games officiated: 406 Basketball 73 Softball 16 Baseball
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old Sat Jun 24, 2006, 04:25am
In Memoriam
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Hell
Posts: 20,221
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stat-Man
I had a weird basketball dream and wondered what the appropriate ruling (any ruleset) would be if this actually happened.

I was an assistant coach for a team and during a time out in the closing seconds, the opposing team's coach came over to our huddle to listen to what we were planning to do to tie or win the game.

As soon as I noticed, I broke the huddle and started to make noise so to keep him from hearing anything. All while wondering "why aren't the refs doing anything? Surely they could T him or something."

I imagine this would easily qualify as unsporting conduct. But if it was me officiating, I'd be tempted to give a flagrant T and toss the coach since this so blatant.
NFHS rules......

Rule 10-5-2(a) says that the head and assistant coaches have to remain inside the "bench area" during a TO. The listed penalty is a direct "T" if it's the head coach, and if it's an assistant coach, the assistant coach gets a direct "T" and the head coach also gets charged with an indirect "T". The head coach will also lose the right to stand obviously.

The "bench area" is defined in rule 1-13-3 as an "imaginary rectangle formed by the boundaries of the sideline (including the bench), end line, and an imaginary line extended from the free-throw lane-line nearest the bench area meeting an imaginary line extended from the coaching box line". The opponent's bench sureasheck doesn't lie within that description.

Imo forget about the flagrant "T" unless there's something else involved like trash-talking. The other coach should have been "T"d as soon as he pulled that nonsense though.

Last edited by Jurassic Referee; Sat Jun 24, 2006 at 04:28am.
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old Sat Jun 24, 2006, 10:00am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Just north of hell
Posts: 9,250
Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
NFHS rules......

Rule 10-5-2(a) says that the head and assistant coaches have to remain inside the "bench area" during a TO. The listed penalty is a direct "T" if it's the head coach, and if it's an assistant coach, the assistant coach gets a direct "T" and the head coach also gets charged with an indirect "T". The head coach will also lose the right to stand obviously.

The "bench area" is defined in rule 1-13-3 as an "imaginary rectangle formed by the boundaries of the sideline (including the bench), end line, and an imaginary line extended from the free-throw lane-line nearest the bench area meeting an imaginary line extended from the coaching box line". The opponent's bench sureasheck doesn't lie within that description.

Imo forget about the flagrant "T" unless there's something else involved like trash-talking. The other coach should have been "T"d as soon as he pulled that nonsense though.
What if a player from the other teams stands near the opponent's huddle during the TO?

Now what do you do?

Or...what if during a live ball, say during a FT, coach A calls his PG over to talk to him & an opponent walks over with him to listen in. What do you tell the coach when he complains?
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old Sat Jun 24, 2006, 10:01am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: New York City
Posts: 322
As a player in rec leagues growing up I'd always get a kick out of joining a coach-player conference during free throws.

On the other hand, I was a ref's nightmare with all the cheap taunting tricks in the book -- perhaps why I can catch all the sneaky little devils now haha! But I never got a tech or anything from it -- refs usually found it humurous to watch the coach's reaction lol.
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old Sat Jun 24, 2006, 12:09pm
Adam's Avatar
Keeper of the HAMMER
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: MST
Posts: 27,191
Nothing you can do during a non-time-out conference. That player is entitled to any spot on the floor not prohibited by the rules during a free throw. Just because a coach is talking strategy with his point guard doesn't mean the other player can't "defend" him way out there. If coach wants a private conference, he can spend a time-out.
As for the player during a time-out, all players must return to the court at once. Leaving the timeout huddle is returning to the court, IMO.
__________________
Sprinkles are for winners.
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old Sat Jun 24, 2006, 12:44pm
In Memoriam
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Hell
Posts: 20,221
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_ref
1) What if a player from the other teams stands near the opponent's huddle during the TO? Now what do you do?

2) Or...what if during a live ball, say during a FT, coach A calls his PG over to talk to him & an opponent walks over with him to listen in. What do you tell the coach when he complains?
1) Tell the player to keep his azz away from the other team's huddle during a TO. If he doesn't listen, "T" him up under R10-3-7(general unsporting act)

2) You tell the coach "Life sucks....and then you die.". No rule against it.
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old Sat Jun 24, 2006, 01:41pm
certified Hot Mom tester
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: only in my own mind, such as it is
Posts: 12,918
Talking

[QUOTE=Jurassic Referee]
2) You tell the coach "Life sucks....and then you die.". [QUOTE]

The Davism equivalent for this comment is:

"Fair??? Fair??? This is basketball. You want fair - call Judge Judy."
__________________
Yom HaShoah
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old Sat Jun 24, 2006, 01:44pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Portland, Oregon
Posts: 9,466
Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
[QUOTE=Mark Padgett][QUOTE=Jurassic Referee]
2) You tell the coach "Life sucks....and then you die.".
Quote:

The Davism equivalent for this comment is:

"Fair??? Fair??? This is basketball. You want fair - call Judge Judy."

Hey, Padgett, how's things? I've heard some juicy TBA gossip. e-mail me privately to confirm that ABC might be the assignor next year? Glad I'm going to coach!
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old Sat Jun 24, 2006, 04:44pm
certified Hot Mom tester
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: only in my own mind, such as it is
Posts: 12,918
[QUOTE=rainmaker][QUOTE=Mark Padgett]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
2) You tell the coach "Life sucks....and then you die.".


Hey, Padgett, how's things? I've heard some juicy TBA gossip. e-mail me privately to confirm that ABC might be the assignor next year? Glad I'm going to coach!

Juulie - I emailed you with the news as I know it. BTW - do you mean you are going to coach in TBA next season? Cool. I hope I get some of your games. WHACK!

BTW - for the rest of you out there, let me explain about "ABC". There is a guy around here whose first name begins with the letter "C". Whenever any of us are asked with whom we'd like to work, we reply "anybody but C.......". We shortened it to "ABC" and now we call him just that.
__________________
Yom HaShoah
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old Sat Jun 24, 2006, 08:22pm
Adam's Avatar
Keeper of the HAMMER
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: MST
Posts: 27,191
So now he's going to be an assignor. And Juules is a coach? What's next, Mark Cuban becoming an official?
__________________
Sprinkles are for winners.
Reply With Quote
  #11 (permalink)  
Old Sat Jun 24, 2006, 09:05pm
certified Hot Mom tester
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: only in my own mind, such as it is
Posts: 12,918
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells
So now he's going to be an assignor. And Juules is a coach? What's next, Mark Cuban becoming an official?
Mark Cuban is already an official. An official what, I won't say.
__________________
Yom HaShoah
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Referee's Dream........Or Nightmare? theboys Basketball 9 Wed Feb 23, 2005 02:08pm
Unfortunately NOT a Bad Dream rainmaker Basketball 20 Wed Dec 24, 2003 03:22pm
3-man Dream Crew James Neil Football 13 Thu Aug 14, 2003 09:05pm
Weird Dream Oz Referee Basketball 13 Sun Jun 30, 2002 06:15pm


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:23pm.



Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.3.0 RC1