View Single Post
Old Sat Jun 24, 2006, 04:25am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stat-Man
I had a weird basketball dream and wondered what the appropriate ruling (any ruleset) would be if this actually happened.

I was an assistant coach for a team and during a time out in the closing seconds, the opposing team's coach came over to our huddle to listen to what we were planning to do to tie or win the game.

As soon as I noticed, I broke the huddle and started to make noise so to keep him from hearing anything. All while wondering "why aren't the refs doing anything? Surely they could T him or something."

I imagine this would easily qualify as unsporting conduct. But if it was me officiating, I'd be tempted to give a flagrant T and toss the coach since this so blatant.
NFHS rules......

Rule 10-5-2(a) says that the head and assistant coaches have to remain inside the "bench area" during a TO. The listed penalty is a direct "T" if it's the head coach, and if it's an assistant coach, the assistant coach gets a direct "T" and the head coach also gets charged with an indirect "T". The head coach will also lose the right to stand obviously.

The "bench area" is defined in rule 1-13-3 as an "imaginary rectangle formed by the boundaries of the sideline (including the bench), end line, and an imaginary line extended from the free-throw lane-line nearest the bench area meeting an imaginary line extended from the coaching box line". The opponent's bench sureasheck doesn't lie within that description.

Imo forget about the flagrant "T" unless there's something else involved like trash-talking. The other coach should have been "T"d as soon as he pulled that nonsense though.

Last edited by Jurassic Referee; Sat Jun 24, 2006 at 04:28am.