View Single Post
Old Tue Jun 20, 2006, 10:21am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
Just to have a little fun and see how many fanboys pop out of the woodwork, I'll post this interview with Mike Mathis, a retired NBA official who worked quite a few Finals. Enjoy.....

http://www.getsportsinfo.com/lance/mikemathis.mp3

Fanboys should love that one. According to Mathis, his fellow officials, old partners and used-to-be-friends(probably) royally screwed up both the timeout and Nowitzki's foul. He also notes that, generally, the officials now in the NBA are all terrible- except for him, of course.

Before all the Mav's fanboys get too indignant though, you should know that Mathis has got his own axe to grind with the NBA front office. He thought that they screwed him by not backing him up when he got convicted for income tax evasion. He served a year's suspension before being reinstated, then he had to retire a coupla years later under a "disability retirement", supposedly because of his knees. Personally, I think that you can just label him under "disgruntled ex-official" and forget about him.

http://www.enquirer.com/editions/200...ef_mathis.html
I did not listen to the entire interview, but I did find his comments about the time out interesting. I agreed with what he said. It would seem that when the 3 officials met that the time out would have been given following the second FT because the T would have said something along the lines of "they want the time out after the 2nd FT." However it really shouldn't have gotten that far.

It would have been better game management (I would have tried very hard) not to recognize the time out by JHoward because if I was DeRosa, and had all the experience that goes with it, I know that it is very likely that they want the TO after the 2nd FT. By the way, Howard was roughly 10 feet away, not looking at DeRosa, and the TO signal looked as if he was trying to confirm with Coach in the clips that I saw. Also, it would have been easy to just ask, "do you want it now, or after the FT?"