The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old Thu Jun 01, 2006, 07:39am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to IREFU2 Send a message via Yahoo to IREFU2
Scoring on the wrong basket

Just a quick question:

A1 inbounds the ball in the backcourt of Team B. Then A2 gets confused and scores on Team B's basket. Who gets the points and can I get a rule reference? We are talking NFHS rules and mechanics.
Old Thu Jun 01, 2006, 07:48am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by IREFU2
Just a quick question:

A1 inbounds the ball in the backcourt of Team B. Then A2 gets confused and scores on Team B's basket. Who gets the points and can I get a rule reference? We are talking NFHS rules and mechanics.
Nobody gets the points.....it's credited to the team in a footnote on the scoresheet.

NFHS rule 5-2-3.
Old Thu Jun 01, 2006, 07:53am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
Nobody gets the points.....it's credited to the team in a footnote on the scoresheet.

NFHS rule 5-2-3.
Thanks, I was meaning which team though. But I will look at the rule!
Old Thu Jun 01, 2006, 08:12am
In Memoriam

Quote:
The points are always credited to the team in whose basket they were scored.
Old Thu Jun 01, 2006, 08:53am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
My VA homeboy, what are you thinking?

First of all, don't you mean "in Team B's front court?

Second of all, if the ball goes through Team B's basket why would you think that B's gets doesn't get credit for the points? Would you be asking this question if it were an accidental tip-in? Don't overthink the situation, apply the most basic of rules and you have your answer.
Old Thu Jun 01, 2006, 08:59am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef
My VA homeboy, what are you thinking?

First of all, don't you mean "in Team B's front court?

Second of all, if the ball goes through Team B's basket why would you think that B's gets doesn't get credit for the points? Would you be asking this question if it were an accidental tip-in? Don't overthink the situation, apply the most basic of rules and you have your answer.
Just trying to get some light on the subject. It was a mad house last night and my partner insisted I was wrong, so I was getting some confirmation. Actually I meant Team A's is going from the backcourt to the front court and A scores on B's basket. Make sense now?
Old Thu Jun 01, 2006, 09:05am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Just trying to get some light on the subject. It was a mad house last night and my partner insisted I was wrong, so I was getting some confirmation. Actually I meant Team A's is going from the backcourt to the front court and A scores on B's basket. Make sense now?
Makes sense, but..... as I asked before, how do you believe that is any different that than someone accidentally tipping the ball in the wrong basket?

Did your partner who insisted you were wrong have a rules book reference to back him up?
Old Thu Jun 01, 2006, 09:07am
Official Forum Member

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef
Makes sense, but..... as I asked before, how do you believe that is any different that than someone accidentally tipping the ball in the wrong basket?

Did your partner who insisted you were wrong have a rules book reference to back him up?
I knew the rule, couldnt quote it, dont have my book here or at the game. Just needed confirmation. Sometimes the simplest rules are complicated. i am not a walking rule book like you big dawg!!!!
Old Thu Jun 01, 2006, 09:20am
MABO Member

Quote:
Actually I meant Team A's is going from the backcourt to the front court and A scores on B's basket. Make sense now?
If they were confused as to which way they were going and went from backcourt to frontcourt (which would actually be their frontcourt to backcourt, I think) and scored in wrong basket then that would be over and back violation before the score. Or am I reading too much into this and don't understand what actually happened. Unless the inbounds pass was into the backcourt (or is that the frontcourt) Ohhh I am soo confused now.

LOL Smokey

All references/comments are intended for educational purposes. Opinions are free.
Old Thu Jun 01, 2006, 09:27am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeEater
If they were confused as to which way they were going and went from backcourt to frontcourt (which would actually be their frontcourt to backcourt, I think) and scored in wrong basket then that would be over and back violation before the score. Or am I reading too much into this and don't understand what actually happened. Unless the inbounds pass was into the backcourt (or is that the frontcourt) Ohhh I am soo confused now.

LOL Smokey
Long story short - A2 scored on Team B's Basket.
Old Thu Jun 01, 2006, 09:29am
MABO Member

Gotcha

All references/comments are intended for educational purposes. Opinions are free.
Old Thu Jun 01, 2006, 10:32am
Official Forum Member

I also see smokey's point, it all depends where the ball was inbounded, becuase if it were in the front court and then B moved into their back court, you have a violation occur first so the basket is no good, Then it goes back to if the official recognized that a backcourt violation occured but not called and the you have a correctable error. And basket doesn't count..

As for a tip in, then you award the basket to the player closet to the play, and the other team get the points, meaning Team B, WOW.....
Old Thu Jun 01, 2006, 12:42pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by REFVA
I also see smokey's point, it all depends where the ball was inbounded, becuase if it were in the front court and then B moved into their back court, you have a violation occur first so the basket is no good, Then it goes back to if the official recognized that a backcourt violation occured but not called and the you have a correctable error. And basket doesn't count..
Completely wrong. A violation that wasn't called is not a correctable error. You cannot go back and call it retroactively, and you also can't go back and cancel the made basket retroactively.
Old Thu Jun 01, 2006, 01:00pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally Posted by REFVA
As for a tip in, then you award the basket to the player closet to the play, and the other team get the points, meaning Team B, WOW.....
This is also not correct. As JR already pointed out, no player is credited with the points when the ball is scored in the wrong basket. It's simply stated in a footnote at the bottom of the scorer's page.
Old Thu Jun 01, 2006, 02:46pm
Official Forum Member

The biggest thing is to make sure that the team that scored also inbounds the ball. Do not allow the other team to inbound it otherwise you will really be screwed up.

When this happens to me (it has happened to me occasionally), I whistle the play. Signal to the table to score it, making sure it gets added on the scoreboard to the right team. Then tell the teams which way they are going and as mentioned, ensure the correct team is inbounding the ball.