The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon May 29, 2006, 03:36pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Mountaineer Send a message via Yahoo to Mountaineer
Injury

At the end of April I had a HUGE injury. I was umpiring a college softball game and my achilles "snapped" and I went down HARD - fracturing my wrist as I hit. Needless to say, I didn't finish the game or the second game OR the rest of the season. I had surgery the following Thursday to repair the tendon and things seem to be going well. My orthopedist believes I will be back before basketball season ready to go. I have my doubts.

I am wondering if anyone on here has ever suffered from this same injury. If so, how was your recovery and how are you doing now?

The best part about beating your head against the wall is it feels so good when you stop.
Old Mon May 29, 2006, 03:46pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to IREFU2 Send a message via Yahoo to IREFU2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountaineer
At the end of April I had a HUGE injury. I was umpiring a college softball game and my achilles "snapped" and I went down HARD - fracturing my wrist as I hit. Needless to say, I didn't finish the game or the second game OR the rest of the season. I had surgery the following Thursday to repair the tendon and things seem to be going well. My orthopedist believes I will be back before basketball season ready to go. I have my doubts.

I am wondering if anyone on here has ever suffered from this same injury. If so, how was your recovery and how are you doing now?
The achillies could take at least 6 months... I got kicked in mine back it High School and was down for at least that long.
Old Mon May 29, 2006, 04:15pm
Official Forum Member

Take it slow and easy, follow the doctor's instructions, and don't be in a hurry to get back.

A football officiating colleague tore his, had surgery, and tore it again before it completely healed. He gave up officiating.

Take as much time as you need, and more if necessary.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Mon May 29, 2006, 09:47pm
Official Forum Member

Be patient and don't ever cheat on your rehab exercises. In 2002 I tore mine in March and was reffing a full schedule starting in November. Good as new.

Z
Old Tue May 30, 2006, 08:50am
Official Forum Member

Been there, done that.

I tore mine while playing (what turned out to be) the last game of my career. Took me 9 months to get back to 95%. It's amazing how quickly the calf muscle atrophies. Six years later, and the calf muscle of the injured leg is still smaller! Don't short-change the rehab and give it time. It will continue to improve even after you hit the 95% mark, but it will be a very gradual improvement from there.

Good luck!
Old Tue May 30, 2006, 10:18am
Official Forum Member

New member of the forum. Ihave a injury to my knee. about 2 months ago I was doing AAU games I had pain on the inside of my knee. hoping for the best I stayed off of it until 3 weeks ago when I did more AAU games, The pain reoccurred went to doctor MRI, torn cartlidge strained ligament surgery 3 days ago right now I have swelling and I am doing light leg lifts to help (per my doctor of course)Ihave to return to my doctor next week. Any way Ihave already registered for the officials camp at virginia tech Iam hoping I will be 100% by that time. Any one had the same problem I am having any feed back is appreciated
Old Tue May 30, 2006, 11:34am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by swvaref
New member of the forum. Ihave a injury to my knee. about 2 months ago I was doing AAU games I had pain on the inside of my knee. hoping for the best I stayed off of it until 3 weeks ago when I did more AAU games, The pain reoccurred went to doctor MRI, torn cartlidge strained ligament surgery 3 days ago right now I have swelling and I am doing light leg lifts to help (per my doctor of course)Ihave to return to my doctor next week. Any way Ihave already registered for the officials camp at virginia tech Iam hoping I will be 100% by that time. Any one had the same problem I am having any feed back is appreciated
My knees have been really sore since I made the mistake of becoming a player again last month. I'm avoiding my doctor until after my 2 camps, one of which is the one at Va Tech.
Old Tue May 30, 2006, 01:00pm
Official Forum Member

My achilles was severed in a motorcycle accident when I was 19. Also a broken ankle in same incident. First surgery, they connected the tendon back together. I lost flexibility, (my heel didn't touch the ground when standing flat footed). 2nd surgery to try to extend the length of the muscle helped a little. I think I have about 90 degree angle for my ankle joint. Flexing to point my toes was never effected. I think the 2nd surgery was done because I was young, not sure they would do that now (42 years old)
but I am not an authority on that issue. Year and a half later until I could play basketball again. The broken ankle had an effect on needing a 2nd surgery for flexibility. That issue may not even come up for you.

Bottom line - after 23 years I need motrin for my knees more than my ankle area if I officiate more than 2 games. When I get up in the morning my ankle is always tight, but a few slow steps while stretching it almost always solves the problem. My injured calf is still noticeably smaller than the non-injured calf.

Best of luck,
Old Tue May 30, 2006, 01:02pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to IREFU2 Send a message via Yahoo to IREFU2
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef
My knees have been really sore since I made the mistake of becoming a player again last month. I'm avoiding my doctor until after my 2 camps, one of which is the one at Va Tech.
I need to take you to the hoop a couple of times!
Old Tue May 30, 2006, 01:10pm
Official Forum Member

I know several guys who is attending the VT camp or has in the past this will be my 1st time its pretty neat to see someone from the forum is attending