Thread: Injury
View Single Post
Old Tue May 30, 2006, 01:00pm
Official Forum Member

My achilles was severed in a motorcycle accident when I was 19. Also a broken ankle in same incident. First surgery, they connected the tendon back together. I lost flexibility, (my heel didn't touch the ground when standing flat footed). 2nd surgery to try to extend the length of the muscle helped a little. I think I have about 90 degree angle for my ankle joint. Flexing to point my toes was never effected. I think the 2nd surgery was done because I was young, not sure they would do that now (42 years old)
but I am not an authority on that issue. Year and a half later until I could play basketball again. The broken ankle had an effect on needing a 2nd surgery for flexibility. That issue may not even come up for you.

Bottom line - after 23 years I need motrin for my knees more than my ankle area if I officiate more than 2 games. When I get up in the morning my ankle is always tight, but a few slow steps while stretching it almost always solves the problem. My injured calf is still noticeably smaller than the non-injured calf.

Best of luck,