The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat May 06, 2006, 07:30pm
Official Forum Member

Question Physical contact on a referee

Yesterday at a game reported to me by others and on video: a young official was nudged by player as he was reporting the foul to the scorebench. Happened again during the game. When questioned the official thought that this may have been accidental. The nudges were done when the official's back was turned. To me this would mean instant ejection from the game. What are your thoughts on this?
Old Sat May 06, 2006, 07:38pm
Official Forum Member

Not really sure what you want us to say.

If the official felt that the nudge was accidental then he obviously cannot throw out the player.

If the player intentionally contacted an official then a flagrant T should be called and the player ejected.
Old Sat May 06, 2006, 07:46pm
Official Forum Member

NICK:

I had a situation this past year during a game where I called a foul and after reporting was standing near the table while that particular player was substituted out. About the time the player was 5 steps away from me, he lowered his head and bumped me as he was walking by. Then turned and screamed at me to get out of his way.

I did not need to throw him out, my partner immediately tossed him. No lip from the coach or fans. It was a situation the player could have easily avoided.

Some situations with contact may be a judgment call, but any unjustified contact should be an ejection.
Old Sat May 06, 2006, 10:08pm
Official Forum Member

Nick, sounds like if the calling official thought it was accidental, then like others have said already, there's not much to do. You could always ask the coaches to tell their players to be more careful in the future, but that has its time and place.

If the calling official's partner(s) saw the play and thought the act was intentional, then immediate ejection...I'd wait a split second to see if the bumped official will do it him/herself otherwise I'd step in.
Old Sat May 06, 2006, 11:32pm
Official Forum Member

Obviously, as the non-calling official you must keep your eyes on the players. Sometimes that precludes you from seeing everything surrounding your partner, but you need to work hard to keep an eye on his back for this specific reason.

I had a game a number of years ago where I was the trail over on the sideline and the ball came out of bounds near me. Several players were around going for the ball, when one kid drops his shoulder and puts a hit on me like a fullback would on a linebacker. He knocked me into the seats! Pretty good hit, though it didn't really hurt. I was *near* the ball, but I was convinced then and now he took me out intentionally. However, since I was so close to the play I had to give him the benefit of the doubt. When I asked my co-official about it, he said he didn't think the kid did it intentionally. And when I say I think he did, I honestly have to conceed that when thinking it over, I'm not sure the kid was sharp enough to figure out that quickly he could get a free shot on me.
Old Sun May 07, 2006, 09:27am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Aggie
Obviously, as the non-calling official you must keep your eyes on the players. Sometimes that precludes you from seeing everything surrounding your partner, but you need to work hard to keep an eye on his back for this specific reason.

I had a game a number of years ago where I was the trail over on the sideline and the ball came out of bounds near me. Several players were around going for the ball, when one kid drops his shoulder and puts a hit on me like a fullback would on a linebacker. He knocked me into the seats! Pretty good hit, though it didn't really hurt. I was *near* the ball, but I was convinced then and now he took me out intentionally. However, since I was so close to the play I had to give him the benefit of the doubt. When I asked my co-official about it, he said he didn't think the kid did it intentionally. And when I say I think he did, I honestly have to conceed that when thinking it over, I'm not sure the kid was sharp enough to figure out that quickly he could get a free shot on me.
What did the kid say to you afterwards? I ask because it is generally my experience that a player will apologize after he makes contact, no matter how small, once he realizes he's bumped an official. Your case was much more than a bump, I'm wondering what his reaction was after.
Old Sun May 07, 2006, 11:22am
certified Hot Mom tester

Exclamation

If a player intentionally makes contact with me in that manner, not only do I eject the player, I make him run with scissors.
Old Sun May 07, 2006, 10:18pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett
If a player intentionally makes contact with me in that manner, not only do I eject the player, I make him run with scissors.
And you have 'rock'
Old Mon May 08, 2006, 02:56am
Official Forum Member

Ref-Dan, I was not involved in this incident but was told about it. The officials were an 18 and a 17 year old refereeing an under 23 game. I was told that the player who nudged the official has apologised, but has been cited for his actions and will have to attend a hearing. My guess is that the free official might not have seen the action of the player. I am conducting a "back to basics" clinic for the youngsters next week and will discuss the incident (without mentioning any names naturally) and why the free official should freeze and observe the actions of the players amongst other things. Cheers.
Old Mon May 08, 2006, 07:41am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
My guess is that the free official might not have seen the action of the player. I am conducting a "back to basics" clinic for the youngsters next week and will discuss the incident (without mentioning any names naturally) and why the free official should freeze and observe the actions of the players amongst other things
I believe that you quoted the free officials, you meant the other official who was not reporting the foul or the call to the table?

In my 6 years of oficiating, it is my primary focus to keep all players in my sight in the event that a fight or pushing/scuffle doesn't break out. Obviously the referee's were fairly young 18 and 17, had little experience and my have not kept an eye on the players. So he may have not seen if the player intentionally meant to bump the official.
Old Mon May 08, 2006, 12:25pm
Official Forum Member

Sort of on the topic..... I had to eject a player from a 3 on 3 tournament this weekend. He got screened and grabbed the screener with two hands and basically threw the kid to the ground. His team finished with 2 players and lost of course. On their way out one of them, a 130 pond HS sophmore or so, told me he'd be waiting in the parking lot. I got a bit of a chuckle out of it. The funny part was their "coach", and by coach I mean idiot dad that had time to drive them to the tournament, started to complain to the guy running the tourney. He was trying to defend his players when another worker walked up and asked if he thought it was all right his players mooned the opposing team on their way out. After that he didn't have much defense for his kids. All this over a stupid, out of season, 3 on 3 tournament. Pretty sad, but the tournament organizers did a great job of backing me. I got some sun and made a little cash.
Old Mon May 08, 2006, 12:31pm
Official Forum Member

Oh yeah, as far as the original post, if you're sure it's intentional, dump the player. In the other post, great job by your partner dumping the kid before you had to.
Old Mon May 08, 2006, 08:54pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by 26 Year Gap
And you have 'rock'
There was a cartoon in the paper just today that showed The Thing from the Fantastic Four, Edward Scissorhands and Captain Hook. The Captain was saying, "OK, we'll play rock, scissors and hook".