View Single Post
Old Sun May 07, 2006, 09:27am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Aggie
Obviously, as the non-calling official you must keep your eyes on the players. Sometimes that precludes you from seeing everything surrounding your partner, but you need to work hard to keep an eye on his back for this specific reason.

I had a game a number of years ago where I was the trail over on the sideline and the ball came out of bounds near me. Several players were around going for the ball, when one kid drops his shoulder and puts a hit on me like a fullback would on a linebacker. He knocked me into the seats! Pretty good hit, though it didn't really hurt. I was *near* the ball, but I was convinced then and now he took me out intentionally. However, since I was so close to the play I had to give him the benefit of the doubt. When I asked my co-official about it, he said he didn't think the kid did it intentionally. And when I say I think he did, I honestly have to conceed that when thinking it over, I'm not sure the kid was sharp enough to figure out that quickly he could get a free shot on me.
What did the kid say to you afterwards? I ask because it is generally my experience that a player will apologize after he makes contact, no matter how small, once he realizes he's bumped an official. Your case was much more than a bump, I'm wondering what his reaction was after.