The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Apr 20, 2006, 05:42am
Official Forum Member

Former camp attendees comments

A friend of mine and I are looking for feedback from other officials who have attended any of the four following camps in the recent (3 years ) past.

1) Day of Game ( california )

2) Toliver Basketball officiating school ( east coast )

3) IMG Acadamy Officiating School ( Florida )

4) Coast to Coast officiating school ( Las Vegas )

THANKS!
Old Thu Apr 20, 2006, 08:44am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to AZ_REF
While I have not attended the coast to coast camp in Vegas, I have only heard great things about it. Everyone I know who's gone always comes away with a really positive experience. They all go back as well.

On a side note where in AZ are you and when did you move here?
Old Thu Apr 20, 2006, 03:13pm
Official Forum Member

I attended both GT's camp as well as C2C last year. Both excellent camps, both with NBA instructors.

Toliver's camp.....the play is not good, the instruction is excellent. Tony Brothers, Leroy Richardson, Scott Foster, Luis Grillo were present. Tom Washington, and Olandis Poole couldnt make it, but will be there this year. All NBA mechanics, switches, rotation, etc. GT is a tell it like it is guy, they are not afraid to hurt your feelings in an attempt to keep it real and get you better. It's held at James Madison Univ, which is a 2 hr drive from DC. 425 bucks pays for everything including hotel (roommate) and all meals.

Coast to Coast..... another excellent camp put on by Ron Garretson. All NBA clinicians. Joey Crawford, Derrick Stafford, Bill Spooner, Tommy Nunez, Greg Willard, Dave Jones, Scott Wall, Zach Zarba, Mark Ayotte, Bill Kennedy, Eric Lewis, and Mike Laurerman (supervisor) and Ronnie Nunn (The Boss) were all there. Ronnie Nunn was not expected, but stopped in as he was in Vegas with Coach Guthrie's camp. Excellent play (addidas super 64), all games played at a local HS. Great instruction, lots of situations and tape breakdown using NBA plays on DVD. Great one on one break down after every game. The camp is a bit pricey as it is 500, plus hotel (250), plus plane (250), plus some meals, plus u are in Vegas so imagine the additional expense. Easily a $1200 camp, and u are not there to get picked up, they tell u that.

I will be returning to both, in addition to a couple of others.

Last edited by NasdaqRef; Thu Apr 20, 2006 at 03:15pm.
Old Thu Apr 20, 2006, 07:37pm
Official Forum Member

IMG is amazing. You pay out the ying-yang, but everything is first class. It is Bob Delaney's camp and his alone. For that reason he takes no more than 12 people at one session. You ref NBA players for the most part, with NBA mechanics. My favorite camp to date. Bob is a great guy. You break down tape alot and watch alot of plays on tape. The last night we were there Bob took us to his house and we were able to meet his family. His wife cooked out for us and watched our days game tape in his living room. Just amazing.
Old Fri Apr 21, 2006, 08:43am
Official Forum Member

Where can I find out information on the IMG camp? I have the C2C and Toliver camps bookmarked. Thanks.
Old Fri Apr 21, 2006, 11:50am
Official Forum Member

Just go here and fill out the more information part and Ryan Henderson will take care of you and give you a call:

http://academy.officiating.com/
Old Fri Apr 21, 2006, 04:01pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks for the info
Old Mon Apr 24, 2006, 12:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by New2AZref
A friend of mine and I are looking for feedback from other officials who have attended any of the four following camps in the recent (3 years ) past.

1) Day of Game ( california )

2) Toliver Basketball officiating school ( east coast )

3) IMG Acadamy Officiating School ( Florida )

4) Coast to Coast officiating school ( Las Vegas )

THANKS!
Re: Day of Game camp...... I have attended as a camper and as an instructor and I highly recommend this camp. Mostly Division 1 officials serve as instructors and observers and there are at least 2 or 3 assignors attending. The best feature is there are only 3 courts all in one building so there's no time wasted traveling for campers and observers alike. There is plenty of class time as well, and unlike a lot of camps, refreshments are provided. It all depends in what you are looking for from a camp. The other 3 on the list are run NBA style and this one is strictly to improve your game on the college level as well as be seen by socal assignors.