The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Mar 19, 2006, 04:26pm
Official Forum Member

So at what point do we look the other way and let the head coach grab his metal folding chair and slam it back to the floor?
In a rec. game? AAU or even high school game? What if you're Roy Williams and the #3 seed and you're fighting for your
life late in the second half of round two of an NCAA tourney game? I think I know what I'd do regardless of the situation as
that is a very clear and distinguishable line that's been crossed. I'm guaranteed that all of my assignors (both high school
and college) would've backed me unequivocally if I had whacked him for the chair slamming. What are your thoughts?
Old Sun Mar 19, 2006, 04:38pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Talking Does it matter: they lost.

Old Sun Mar 19, 2006, 04:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Ebayref
So at what point do we look the other way and let the head coach grab his metal folding chair and slam it back to the floor?
In a rec. game? AAU or even high school game? What if you're Roy Williams and the #3 seed and you're fighting for your
life late in the second half of round two of an NCAA tourney game? I think I know what I'd do regardless of the situation as
that is a very clear and distinguishable line that's been crossed. I'm guaranteed that all of my assignors (both high school
and college) would've backed me unequivocally if I had whacked him for the chair slamming. What are your thoughts?
I have seen a lot worse go unpunished in college, especially during the regular season. In HS, sportsmanship is stressed. College is more about winning and money (although not to the level of the pros). I have seen Gene Keady and other coaches go ballistic on the sidelines and the referees do nothing. I guess a lot of the NCAA tourney officials don't want to be known as the one that whacked a coach.

Z
Old Sun Mar 19, 2006, 04:49pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

That's why I will never be a college ref. I love whacking coaches.

(Only when deserved, such as throwing a chair.)
Old Sun Mar 19, 2006, 05:16pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally posted by JugglingReferee
I love whacking coaches.
What else do you, umm, love?
Old Sun Mar 19, 2006, 08:28pm
Official Forum Member

He was upset with the entire team but at this particular stage, GM had just scored and Noel was bringing the ball up the floor. David has no business bringing the ball up the floor. That's Frasor's job. That's why he was frustrated when Noel went to the floor and lamost turned it over.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Sun Mar 19, 2006, 08:44pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up

I agree. To me, he was clearly upset with his player(s). Good one to let go.
Old Sun Mar 19, 2006, 09:01pm
Official Forum Member

You have to throw the chair across the floor. Look at the video of Bobby and notice how he led with his hips. Great form! The Diaper Dandies showed why Al McGuire said, "The best thing about freshmen is that they will become sophomores."
Old Sun Mar 19, 2006, 10:52pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
I know that some guys would have been Td up for that. But what if UNC had won by a point?
Old Sun Mar 19, 2006, 11:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by 26 Year Gap
I know that some guys would have been Td up for that. But what if UNC had won by a point?
Given some of the coaches' behavior that had been allowed during the tournament, I think that Sunday afternoon would have been a helluva bad time to whack somebody for some sideline histrionics directed at players.

Along similar lines, I thought it odd and a little bit objectionable that in the first round-and-a-half of the tournament, I saw zero carries called, and today plus the last game of last night, I saw five or six. I know that I didn't see all of all of the games, but I caught a very healthy sample size.
Old Mon Mar 20, 2006, 12:52am
Do not give a damn!!

Did it ever occur to you that no one saw this "chair slam?" It is also possible that no one really heard it either.

Would this bring a T from me? It would really depend on the situation. The level, the type of game, what the coach has said to me or my partners and even the history of the coach would factor in whether a T would be called. I think one of the things we need to stop doing is assuming that all situations are alike and all behavior deserves the same punishment. The reality if all the coach did was slam the chair down and the chair was not in the stands or on the floor. I would be more inclined to let it go. Not every action deserves a response from us or a T.

Peace
Old Mon Mar 20, 2006, 01:48am
Official Forum Member

JRut, your points are well made. But it's hard for me to buy into the notion that not one of the three saw the windup and heave of the chair. I also think that by not penalizing this type of behavior is opening up the door for the same behavior at the other end. You know how coaches think! He's gonna want that same type of pass at the most inopportune time and you're left with no other choice than to look the other way since you didn't "close the door" initially at the one end. What's it gonna be next? Slamming of the clipboard, kicking the scorer's table, shotputting a water bottle all in the name of "frustration" at one's own players? Unsporting behavior doesn't just happen between the lines as we all have experienced during our careers. I just happen to think that Roy's behavior with the chair exceeded tolerable limits and should have been addressed in one form or another. Casting a blind eye to that situation today was setting a dangerous precedent and wasn't deserving of a pass whether it be intentional or not......
Old Mon Mar 20, 2006, 07:36am
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
I believe this was shortly after the coach came 5 or 6 feet onto the floor while the ball was live and players were in his end. I thought that it would have been amusing if the GM player had plowed him over or had to step around him to continue down court.
Old Mon Mar 20, 2006, 08:33am
Courageous When Prudent

1) That's the difference between being a HS coach and a College coach.

2) I think Roy was reacting in frustration to his player not pushing the ball up the floor, and not to his player getting tripped up.

3) After each close call (or non-call) that went against the Tar Heels, I never saw Coach Williams griping to the refs which I think led to him getting the benefit of the doubt in that situation.

From replays, it appears that Reggie Greenwood did see Williams actions. As far as coaches walking 5 or 6 feet on the floor, that's been happening all tournament.
Old Mon Mar 20, 2006, 10:46am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:

JRut, your points are well made. But it's hard for me to buy into the notion that not one of the three saw the windup and heave of the chair. I also think that by not penalizing this type of behavior is opening up the door for the same behavior at the other end. You know how coaches think! He's gonna want that same type of pass at the most inopportune time and you're left with no other choice than to look the other way since you didn't "close the door" initially at the one end. What's it gonna be next? Slamming of the clipboard, kicking the scorer's table, shotputting a water bottle all in the name of "frustration" at one's own players? Unsporting behavior doesn't just happen between the lines as we all have experienced during our careers.

I do not know about you but I do not spend my time watching coaches all day. My concentration is on the court with the players. So I can easily see how someone would not see this or necessarily hear it depending on how loud the gym was at this time. What I also do not know is where the ball was as compared to the bench and what else was going on during the game? If you think about it, you can easily understand why this did not get T'd. I know I have heard things behind me and did not know what happen. I am not sticking a coach for what I think happen.

Quote:
I just happen to think that Roy's behavior with the chair exceeded tolerable limits and should have been addressed in one form or another. Casting a blind eye to that situation today was setting a dangerous precedent and wasn't deserving of a pass whether it be intentional or not......
Maybe it should have been addressed. I also think these guys are human and unless you have worked in that kind of situation you cannot compare it to your HS basketball experience. This is a tournament where there are thousands of people in the stands and on a college court and you are not right next to every coach.

Also I do not care what the other coach thinks. It is about doing something that gets you caught. We do not see everything. What a coach might think is the last thing on my mind after what I am going to eat after the game.

Peace