View Single Post
Old Sun Mar 19, 2006, 04:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Ebayref
So at what point do we look the other way and let the head coach grab his metal folding chair and slam it back to the floor?
In a rec. game? AAU or even high school game? What if you're Roy Williams and the #3 seed and you're fighting for your
life late in the second half of round two of an NCAA tourney game? I think I know what I'd do regardless of the situation as
that is a very clear and distinguishable line that's been crossed. I'm guaranteed that all of my assignors (both high school
and college) would've backed me unequivocally if I had whacked him for the chair slamming. What are your thoughts?
I have seen a lot worse go unpunished in college, especially during the regular season. In HS, sportsmanship is stressed. College is more about winning and money (although not to the level of the pros). I have seen Gene Keady and other coaches go ballistic on the sidelines and the referees do nothing. I guess a lot of the NCAA tourney officials don't want to be known as the one that whacked a coach.

Z