The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Mar 12, 2006, 11:59am
Official Forum Member

As a coach, what can I tell/ask the refs prior to a game to ensure they prevent a very physical (10th grade)game?
I.e. some refs call fouls well, others allow alot of defensive fouls in the paint.
My goal is keep the kids safe at all times.
Old Sun Mar 12, 2006, 12:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mrgusb
As a coach, what can I tell/ask the refs prior to a game to ensure they prevent a very physical (10th grade)game?
I.e. some refs call fouls well, others allow alot of defensive fouls in the paint.
Coach, A word of caution. A question you should ask yourself.

Would I want an official tell or suggest to me how to coach my team? I know you may be concern. However, this is a very fine line.

Take this approach when trying to address officiating. Do not EVER approach an official about calls from you vantage point.
Old Sun Mar 12, 2006, 12:13pm
Official Forum Member

Ths, but don't read too deeply into this.

My boys have told me (we face these refs b4) that they get all banged up by the defense driving in the lane.

Other refs (in our league) call the appropriate fouls....
but there are these 2 that allow it.

I'm looking for the right, respectful, diplomatic msg. to remind them...this isn't the NBA...we don't need our boys to get mauled.
Old Sun Mar 12, 2006, 12:15pm
Do not give a damn!!

Coach,

I can tell you right now you would lose all credibility with me right off the bat. You have no right to tell me what to do or how to do it. I do not know the ins and outs of your offense or defensive schemes. Do not tell me what I should do to officiate a game. If you want a safe game that is your issue. I can never guarantee the safety of your team. That is your job. All I do is call violations and fouls that I see and I think apply to the game appropriately. Kids are going to get hurt whether I blow my whistle or not. It is your job to teach the kids to adjust the style of play and the officiating.

Peace
Old Sun Mar 12, 2006, 12:17pm
Official Forum Member

Hello Coach. IMO, the best way to approach a game you believe will be rough is to have your players prepared to play hard. I don't think mentioning anything to the officials will be helpful. You'd be suprised how oftentimes officials are in tune with the style of play for the teams. We generally know what to expect although I do not go into a game anticipating something WILL happen. Hopefully, the officials you have will call the game accordingly when the rules are broken.

Coaches who are anticipating stuff before the game and bring it to the officials attention are considered to be already trying to "work the officials", and though done in a respectful manner......ignored. If something happens, the officials should react on their own with the appropriate call/ penalty.

I know this isn't the answer you're looking for but it's the answer I offer to you. If we know a team has a point guard who cannot handle pressure, we don't offer coaching tips. What I'm trying to say, is to first let the officials do their job. If they don't, you could try speaking up after to 1st quarter but that may or may not help. Some games will be more physical but that doesn't necessarily mean the officials let alot go. It could just mean the game was more physical. Good luck.
Old Sun Mar 12, 2006, 12:35pm
Official Forum Member

Geez.....now I know why politicians have it so hard dealing with foreign ambassadors?! The written word being so scrutinized for subliminal msgs....

Thx all for your replies, sincerely....I learn from all my experiences.

However, if you re-read my posts you'll see I'm idelooking to keep my team safe as 1 venue's refs are allowing a physical game AND not calling appropriate fouls.

I know Bball is a contact sport, we are prepared to play aggressively, we do adapt...but when a (an intentional) foul is committed, I expect a whistle. It should be the refs. who set the tone of the game.....but I know I'll get feedback to the contrary.

Thanks all for the feedback....I'm off to the foray!
Old Sun Mar 12, 2006, 01:13pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
However, if you re-read my posts you'll see I'm looking to keep my team safe as 1 venue's refs are allowing a physical game AND not calling appropriate fouls.

Naw, you're looking to plant a l'il seed into the officials' minds to call fouls on the other team. That's one of the oldest coaching ploys around; coaches have been pulling that one out since Naismith's day. It ain't gonna work with any kind of experienced official though, but if you think that you can intimidate some newer officials into giving you a break, hey, be my guest. You aren't the only coach around trying that one.

You said you were looking to keep your team safe, coach. I mighta been maybe a little impressed if you hadda said that you were looking to keep both teams safe. But.....you really don't care about the other team anyway, do you?
Old Sun Mar 12, 2006, 02:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
It's not your place to tell the officials how to call the game.

Quote:
(we face these refs b4)
You've got some issues, coach. You aren't playing the officials, you're playing the opposing team. Your entire outlook on the game is wrong from the gitgo.

Your opponent plays my physically than other teams you play. Then make adjustments with your team. Don't expect the officials to change the way they call the game because you ask them to. Sorry but that's stupid.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Sun Mar 12, 2006, 11:55pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to dave30
I had a BCI girls game today, 16,17 year old girls, that was very physical from the start of the game to the end. One team was bigger and didn't mind using their size and strength. Both teams played very physical. We had at least five fouls called on players for flattening another player who was screening them. We had another five or so fouls for illegal picks, one of those led to a flagrant foul. Numerous off the ball shoves, pushes, etc. in the paint. Point is....there was absolutely nothing we could do to protect the players. Five players fouled out. The game lasted way too long for my tastes and it didn't help that there were morons in the stands who had no clue wanting to kill us! The coaches were OK, but one team really played kind of dirty and paid for it. Still, there was a flagrant and a couple of injuries. What can you do? If the players play that rough and out of control, it is up to the coaches to get them in line. All we can do is call the fouls.
Old Mon Mar 13, 2006, 01:09am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Coach, to keep your kids safe, keep them in the locker room. The worst injuries I've seen in basketball didn't happen as a result of fouls. Sports expose kids to risks that aren't there otherwise. That's life. The refs in a different league call things looser than the refs in your own league. If you really think that your players are risking bodily harm, then don't play in that league! There's not much to be gained by trying to talk to the refs about it. If you really have a complaint, talk to the assignor. Otherwise, forget it. Coach your kids, and leave the refs alone.
Old Mon Mar 13, 2006, 02:12am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
As a coach, what can I tell/ask the refs prior to a game...
1. That you'll stick to coaching
2. That you'll stay in your coach's box
3. That you won't forget 1 & 2

Other than that, say nothing.

If you approach me before the game, asking/telling me to do this, that, and the other thing, you are alienating me right off the bat.

Bad idea.

Just smile, say "hi", "have a good game", "good luck", or something like that and walk away.

Old Mon Mar 13, 2006, 02:30am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Geez.....now I know why politicians have it so hard dealing with foreign ambassadors?! The written word being so scrutinized for subliminal msgs....

Thx all for your replies, sincerely....I learn from all my experiences.

However, if you re-read my posts you'll see I'm idelooking to keep my team safe as 1 venue's refs are allowing a physical game AND not calling appropriate fouls.
I cannot speak for anyone else but I clearly read and understood your point on this. You actually think that you are going to say something that will make a difference. Now I am not the most experienced referee here, but I know in my 10 years of officiating I have never had a coach successfully tell me or my partner what to do and we took the information as something positive. Now maybe you will find someone that cares, but I know I will not. I know I will not find other officials that have similar experience and take your "comments" as a positive thing.

Quote:
I know Bball is a contact sport, we are prepared to play aggressively, we do adapt...but when a (an intentional) foul is committed, I expect a whistle. It should be the refs. who set the tone of the game.....but I know I'll get feedback to the contrary.
If you feel that way, maybe you are not a very good coach. The best coaches hardly say anything or the pick their spots when they complain. I know of a coach that once coached Isaiah Thomas in HS and has sent many players to Division 1 Basketball. I have had this coach about 4 times and in the last 3 years. He has only said one thing to me about any call in all those games. He spoke at an association that I belong to last spring and received an award from out association. He said that he leaves the officials alone because "If I talk to them I am not coaching my kids." I know every time I work for him, I know if he has something to say, he is probably right or has a good point. Now you can take the advice or leave it. I think we are just trying to prepare you for what you will face. At the level you coach you might get an official or two that is rather new and might listen to you. If you run into a veteran, they will just add you to the list of funny stories they tell their fellow official about how dumb they think you are.

Peace
Old Mon Mar 13, 2006, 02:56am
Official Forum Member

I think he's gone but I'm reading. If it helps any, even I thought the question was inappropriate.
Old Mon Mar 13, 2006, 03:11am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally posted by bebanovich
I think he's gone but I'm reading. If it helps any, even I thought the question was inappropriate.
I think he is gone too, but my post was for the benefit of others that might read it. I hope you learned something out of this post.

Peace
Old Mon Mar 13, 2006, 05:13pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

I'd like to add something here. Newer refs are bound to struggle with advantage/disadvantage and how to apply it to contact.
Normally, newer refs tend to whistle more contact than is necessary, and tend to call phantom fouls. Then, A/D comes into play and they sometimes err on the other side and allow a little too much contact. Judgment gets better over time.
If you happen to have a ref who is newer and perhaps letting too much contact go, and you think you need to address it, try something simple and respectful; perhaps during a timeout.
"Hey, these aren't college kids, and I think more contact could be called on both sides."

I'll reiterate the other comments, though. Don't try this before a game. It won't work.