View Single Post
Old Mon Mar 13, 2006, 02:30am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally posted by mrgusb
Geez.....now I know why politicians have it so hard dealing with foreign ambassadors?! The written word being so scrutinized for subliminal msgs....

Thx all for your replies, sincerely....I learn from all my experiences.

However, if you re-read my posts you'll see I'm idelooking to keep my team safe as 1 venue's refs are allowing a physical game AND not calling appropriate fouls.
I cannot speak for anyone else but I clearly read and understood your point on this. You actually think that you are going to say something that will make a difference. Now I am not the most experienced referee here, but I know in my 10 years of officiating I have never had a coach successfully tell me or my partner what to do and we took the information as something positive. Now maybe you will find someone that cares, but I know I will not. I know I will not find other officials that have similar experience and take your "comments" as a positive thing.

Quote:
Originally posted by mrgusb
I know Bball is a contact sport, we are prepared to play aggressively, we do adapt...but when a (an intentional) foul is committed, I expect a whistle. It should be the refs. who set the tone of the game.....but I know I'll get feedback to the contrary.
If you feel that way, maybe you are not a very good coach. The best coaches hardly say anything or the pick their spots when they complain. I know of a coach that once coached Isaiah Thomas in HS and has sent many players to Division 1 Basketball. I have had this coach about 4 times and in the last 3 years. He has only said one thing to me about any call in all those games. He spoke at an association that I belong to last spring and received an award from out association. He said that he leaves the officials alone because "If I talk to them I am not coaching my kids." I know every time I work for him, I know if he has something to say, he is probably right or has a good point. Now you can take the advice or leave it. I think we are just trying to prepare you for what you will face. At the level you coach you might get an official or two that is rather new and might listen to you. If you run into a veteran, they will just add you to the list of funny stories they tell their fellow official about how dumb they think you are.

Peace