View Single Post
Old Sun Mar 12, 2006, 12:17pm
Official Forum Member

Hello Coach. IMO, the best way to approach a game you believe will be rough is to have your players prepared to play hard. I don't think mentioning anything to the officials will be helpful. You'd be suprised how oftentimes officials are in tune with the style of play for the teams. We generally know what to expect although I do not go into a game anticipating something WILL happen. Hopefully, the officials you have will call the game accordingly when the rules are broken.

Coaches who are anticipating stuff before the game and bring it to the officials attention are considered to be already trying to "work the officials", and though done in a respectful manner......ignored. If something happens, the officials should react on their own with the appropriate call/ penalty.

I know this isn't the answer you're looking for but it's the answer I offer to you. If we know a team has a point guard who cannot handle pressure, we don't offer coaching tips. What I'm trying to say, is to first let the officials do their job. If they don't, you could try speaking up after to 1st quarter but that may or may not help. Some games will be more physical but that doesn't necessarily mean the officials let alot go. It could just mean the game was more physical. Good luck.