The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Mar 16, 2006, 01:59am
We don't rent pigs

Try this, coach: Find a cop on the side of the interstate.
Stop and tell him what the speed limit is and that he should strictly enforce it to ensure the safety of you and the other drivers. Back that up with some accident statistics if you like. As for the problem at hand, I think you should not worry about something until it happens. Any advice to the officials beforehand on how to call a game, not only in all likelihood will not be appreciated, but has the potential to blow up in your face.
You may say in your most unoffensive tone, "Last time we played this bunch it was really physical in the paint and both team got all beat up. Thought you guys might like to know that. Thanks a lot." (big sincere smile) If you do happen to get an official that is easily swayed, or is inexperienced and thinks he is helping you, or whatever, you could find every player on the court with 3 fouls in the first quarter. I give the benefit of the doubt and assume your intentions were honorable in asking this question here, but I feel you are asking a question which has no answer. Do your job and let us do ours. Hope for the best, deal with what happens.

Lonesome Dove
Old Thu Mar 16, 2006, 03:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mrgusb
As a coach, what can I tell/ask the refs prior to a game to ensure they prevent a very physical (10th grade)game?
I.e. some refs call fouls well, others allow alot of defensive fouls in the paint.
My goal is keep the kids safe at all times.

Might I suggest that you yell, scream and stomp to direct my attention to what you want called. Better yet, I will keep my eyes on you and if you point at me I will blow my whistle and call something.