The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Mar 08, 2006, 11:12pm
Official Forum Member

What is the LEAST called rule of all? My vote is for the simultaneous foul. Anyone else?
Old Wed Mar 08, 2006, 11:43pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Multiple foul.
Old Wed Mar 08, 2006, 11:46pm
Official Forum Member

Definitely the multiple foul. As in never.

Followed closely by the flop T.

Z
Old Thu Mar 09, 2006, 12:14am
Official Forum Member

False Double Foul
Actually saw it called in a sectional playoff game last week. Unfortunately the ref did not know what they had called and botched it pretty bad. Also forutnately most of the crowd did not know waht they had called either.
Old Thu Mar 09, 2006, 01:56am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by zebraman

Z
I called that one last weekend. Even Padgett said I shouldn't have. Now that's bad. I guess I was just having One of Those Days.
Old Thu Mar 09, 2006, 01:58am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by CA BBall Ref
False Double Foul
Actually saw it called in a sectional playoff game last week. Unfortunately the ref did not know what they had called and botched it pretty bad. Also forutnately most of the crowd did not know waht they had called either.
Definitely NOT the least called foul. Perhaps the foul that doesn't get properly named very often.

I expect the least called infraction is hitting the ball with a fist. I've never heard of anyone ever calling it, never heard it brought up in meetings, never heard the rule even mentioned anywhere.
Old Thu Mar 09, 2006, 02:08am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
Quote:
False Double Foul
Definitely NOT the least called foul. Perhaps the foul that doesn't get properly named very often.

I expect the least called infraction is hitting the ball with a fist. I've never heard of anyone ever calling it, never heard it brought up in meetings, never heard the rule even mentioned anywhere.
Ooh, good one. I had this last weekend, A1 dribbling unchallenged in his backcourt pops the ball with his fist one time. I saw it, didn't think about calling it, but thought about telling him why he may want to keep that out of his portfolio in the future.
Did I mention it? Nope, I forgot about it until just now.
Old Thu Mar 09, 2006, 02:23am
Official Forum Member

The least enforced rules are the ones dealing with the style of the uniforms. The coloring, lettering, number size, location, etc.
There certainly are violations of this, but no one ever calls it.

Old Thu Mar 09, 2006, 04:41am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
False Double Foul
Have had it twice in my career. Admin'd correctly both times.
Old Thu Mar 09, 2006, 06:04am
Administrator

Quote:

Z

Followed by the three second rule. I have not called it in forty years and I started officiating in 1971.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Thu Mar 09, 2006, 08:55am
Official Forum Member

One of the rules that is most overlooked that I see is in girls basketball. They stand at the lane line with their heels up in the air over the blocks. I don't know why girls do this. You never see it in boys. I brought it up at a rules meeting one year and was told it probably wasn't addressed because they weren't gaining an advantage??
Old Thu Mar 09, 2006, 09:28am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
False Double Foul
These are not nearly as uncommon as you think. Here are a couple fairly common scenarios:

A1 drives to the basket and is fouled by B1. A1 completes the try, which is successful. A1 turns and makes an unsportsmanlike comment to B1. False Double.

A1 and B1 are in the post. B1 fouls A1, who is trying to get position. After the official's whistle, A1 retaliates by intentionally pushing B1. False double.

My vote is for the multiple foul. I've never called it, never seen it called, never even heard of it being called.
Old Thu Mar 09, 2006, 09:39am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally posted by BigJoe
One of the rules that is most overlooked that I see is in girls basketball. They stand at the lane line with their heels up in the air over the blocks. I don't know why girls do this. You never see it in boys. I brought it up at a rules meeting one year and was told it probably wasn't addressed because they weren't gaining an advantage??

I've always wondered about this also, as in, "why do girls stand like this on free throws?". Never really considered calling a violation, I usually just stand there wondering who started this trend.

False Double Fouls are a frequent occurrence. Example: A1 gets fouled by B1 on a nice "and 1" play, then A1 gets T'd up for taunting B1 afterwards, or for shoving B1 or for popping his shirt. That's a false double foul.
Old Thu Mar 09, 2006, 09:43am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.
Quote:

Z

Followed by the three second rule. I have not called it in forty years and I started officiating in 1971.

MTD, Sr.
Uhhh....

+ 40
-----

We're good for another 5 years or so.

Old Thu Mar 09, 2006, 09:44am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
Quote:
False Double Foul
These are not nearly as uncommon as you think. Here are a couple fairly common scenarios:

A1 drives to the basket and is fouled by B1. A1 completes the try, which is successful. A1 turns and makes an unsportsmanlike comment to B1. False Double.

A1 and B1 are in the post. B1 fouls A1, who is trying to get position. After the official's whistle, A1 retaliates by intentionally pushing B1. False double.

My vote is for the multiple foul. I've never called it, never seen it called, never even heard of it being called.
Any foul committed by the offfense during free-throws up to the time that the throw-in after a made FT is touched on the floor or a rebound on a missed FT is touched is gonna be part of a false double foul. That includes offensive personal and technical fouls. That's the most common false double foul; happens all the time.

[Edited by Jurassic Referee on Mar 9th, 2006 at 10:25 AM]