The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Mar 14, 2006, 01:58pm
Official Forum Member

bbcoach7 WELCOME TO THE FORUM!!!!!!!!!

Are there any more coaches like you in your area? I wish more coaches had your class and understanding of what youth basketball!!
Old Tue Mar 14, 2006, 03:26pm
Official Forum Member

a T

when i started reffing at 18 -- about 8 years ago -- was a weapon to me. Almost like in the wild west.

However as i gained experience i started to learn about 5-6 years ago that its actually a tool -- not meant to inflict damage or pain but to be used to control a situtaion that might garner such a call.

What I am about to say is how i would handle non HS or camp games...

I give coaches in these situations more leeways regarding administration things like the coaches box and where they might huddle during timeouts and what not because they dont know any better. However i give coaches much less slack for how they address me. Once, as JR puts it, this Howler Monkey starts howling he's only going to get one "coach you keep on this path and IT WILL cost you" -- i can guarantee this numbskull will say something to test me and I will guarantee he will fail.

Now I will tell him unless its a timeout he better not get out of his chair. If hes really that dense he will get to finish the game but thats 50/50 -- also at this level I would be rather hesitant to forfeit the game because hes the only coach simply because I dont think its fair to the kids (other will disagree but once again i approach this differently than HS).

Secondly at this level and age what that kid said would get the good ol heave ho from me -- when i coach a kid so much as says anything even remotly wise to a ref or other player is benched the rest of the game -- so hes done. His next comment about Dying will get the HC a T -- now this is most likely his second one so hes done. If a parent wants to sit in as coach i tell the parent if i have to address him once because of behavior the game is over.

Now if coaches want to emulate the NBA what they need to be doing is holding press conferences, slapping players, throwing chairs, maybe even making millions of dollars a year. But in no way am I going to allow ANY coach to emulate an NBA coach and how he handles an NBA ref when he is upset -- at any level.
Old Tue Mar 14, 2006, 04:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee

The procedure is:
1) warning.
2) technical foul if the warning is ignored.
3) another technical foul if unsporting behavior continues.

You were the author of your own misfortune. Sorry, but there it is.

After reading this on page one, I'm surprised this thread goes on any further. This says it all. I totally agree, JR.