The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jul 02, 2001, 11:10am
Official Forum Member

Kelvin,
I agree with you and you have made the same point I was tyring to make. Rut must never have this play. In this case the book does not handle it correctly. My crew will continue to let Lead handel the inbound bounce pass to OOB player. Enough said.
Old Mon Jul 02, 2001, 11:21am
In Memoriam

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally posted by Kelvin green
First I agree with you about NFHS manual after reading posts and checking it out...
But to answer your question about why would you want lead to throw in the ball when it is not their sideline.

1) Lokk at the scenario if Ball went OOB 2 ft from baseline. Why not have lead throw it in and only make the two foot bounce pass instead of trail making a 26+ ft bounce pass down the side line in the front court? Or having the player move up and give them better position on the floor?

2) NBA, WNBA, NCAA Women cant all be wrong. They obviously think that fron on-ball/off ball coverage and plane violatons that it is easier to call from the lead than an AT&T call from the trail.
Kelvin,
From there, we can make a 15' bounce pass to the thrower, just like FT administration and we are releasing the ball from around the top of the key.
We're still okay from there, I think.
And, the other games are quicker.
Either way, we are so good, it'll work.
mick
Old Mon Jul 02, 2001, 05:11pm
Do not give a damn!!

Lightbulb Who cares about those leagues.

Quote:

2) NBA, WNBA, NCAA Women cant all be wrong. They obviously think that fron on-ball/off ball coverage and plane violatons that it is easier to call from the lead than an AT&T call from the trail.
That is if you have a desire to be in the NBA, WNBA or NCAA Women. If you are me, I give a damn what those leagues do. I have no desire to do any of that.

Old Mon Jul 02, 2001, 05:14pm
Do not give a damn!!

Wink In Rome.........

Quote:
Originally posted by Jerry Baldwin
Kelvin,
I agree with you and you have made the same point I was tyring to make. Rut must never have this play. In this case the book does not handle it correctly. My crew will continue to let Lead handel the inbound bounce pass to OOB player. Enough said.
You must not understand that if I have the Lead bounce the ball to a sideline in 3 person, I will not get marked well in the games I do. It is not the proper mechanic in college men and NF ball that I do. Sorry, I like the ball that I am doing, I am not going to do something that is flat out wrong. So if they change it, I will do it, but who cares about those levels at the HS level.

Peace
Old Mon Jul 02, 2001, 09:37pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Who cares about those leagues.

Quote:
Originally posted by JRutledge
Quote:

That is if you have a desire to be in the NBA, WNBA or NCAA Women. If you are me, I give a damn what those leagues do. I have no desire to do any of that.

Rut--

i think the point with the original post was that the NFHS SHOULD change. if the nba officials (the ONLY full time basketball officials w/ a few exceptions) are using this mechanic, then it's probably got some merit.

at least that was my reading.

Jake
Old Tue Jul 03, 2001, 12:54pm
Do not give a damn!!

Thumbs down Re: Re: Who cares about those leagues.

Quote:
Originally posted by 112448

Rut--

i think the point with the original post was that the NFHS SHOULD change. if the nba officials (the ONLY full time basketball officials w/ a few exceptions) are using this mechanic, then it's probably got some merit.

at least that was my reading.

Jake

Well I am a person that believes that what ever Women's Basketball and the NBA does, should stay there. NF is totally different and so is NCAA Men's. Just because NBA and the WNBA does something, means little to me.

And again, if the Lead does not have that line of responsibility, why in the hell should that person be looking at a line that they do not have. The reason you have 3 officials in the first place, is to view the post more and to watch more off-ball coverage. Who is going to watch the post while you basically have two officials watching the sideline? At least in my experience, Men and young boys are very physical with each other at all levels, I do not want to watch the sideline as the Lead, when I have players screening, pushing, banging at the post. Sorry, but I just do not feel it would be practical. You would have to change more than the sideline coverage.
Old Wed Jul 04, 2001, 08:03pm
Official Forum Member

We'll just have to agree to disagree. But I would ask you this question why is lead doing the inbound play on the sideline below FT line that much different than if the ball went OOB on the baseline? I dont think it is.
In your question about post play...
Lead generally has primary responsibility with the ball below FT line right? This play isnt any different.
As I said weve beat this horse we'll just have to agree to disagree
Old Wed Jul 04, 2001, 09:25pm
Do not give a damn!!

Lightbulb

Quote:
We'll just have to agree to disagree. But I would ask you this question why is lead doing the inbound play on the sideline below FT line that much different than if the ball went OOB on the baseline? I dont think it is.
In your question about post play...
Lead generally has primary responsibility with the ball below FT line right? This play isnt any different.
As I said weve beat this horse we'll just have to agree to disagree
In 3 person, the Lead does not have responibility for anything outside of the 3 point line in NF or NCAA Men's. So it is very different, because you have a official looking at a place that they would have no responibility in the first place. That is why the Lead does not bring the ball in below FT line extended in 3 person. They do not have any responsibility at any other time. The Lead never has any sideline responsibilty or 3 point shot responsibility at any time according to NF or NCAA Men's. And if they do the only time it is allowed or provisions are made for that responsibility is transition. Other than that, the Lead should never be looking there. They primarily have the post and that is it. Now in 2 person, the Lead would have the the line of responsibility on their side of the court that they are on in NF.

I think the problem is you are getting NCAA Women's and WNBA completely confused with NF and NCAA Men's. Because the basic coverage areas are different in a half-court set.
Old Thu Jul 05, 2001, 09:41am
Official Forum Member

Now a question?

Other than that, the Lead should never be looking there. They primarily have the post and that is it.

Are you telling me that Lead then only watches off ball in the post? Shouldn't Lead have ball inside arc below FT line then, with some dual coverage near FT line?

The reason the lead goes strong side is to referee the ball or get ready to referee the ball. Or did I miss something?
Old Thu Jul 05, 2001, 10:21am
In Memoriam

Smile Re: Now a question?

Quote:
Other than that, the Lead should never be looking there. They primarily have the post and that is it.

Are you telling me that Lead then only watches off ball in the post? Shouldn't Lead have ball inside arc below FT line then, with some dual coverage near FT line?

The reason the lead goes strong side is to referee the ball or get ready to referee the ball. Or did I miss something?
Kelvin,
What Rut quite accurately said was that the sideline is never Lead's responsibility (dual or primary) in the front court.
mick
Old Thu Jul 05, 2001, 11:04am
Official Forum Member

Re: Now a question?

Quote:

HS three-person: Lead's primary is from the center of the free throw line, diagonally toward the corner, but stopping at the three-point arc.

A dual area (with T) is "above" the primary, to the free-throw line extended, inside the arc.

NCAA Women (and my understanding is that some states have adopted this for HS): L's primary is free-throw line extended to the sideline, on L's side of the court (IOW a rectangle, similar to the two-person coverage for lead.) The sideline itself, though, belongs to T -- if the ball goes out on the sideline, it's (technically) T's call. If L is on ball (including on the thorow-in where L bounces the ball to the inbounder), T looks inside to the paint to cover the post action there.