View Single Post
Old Sat Jun 30, 2001, 01:45pm
Official Forum Member

3 person mechanics

I have been using 3 person mechanics in high school for 7+ years. I believe that when the new NFHS mechanics book is published that the above procedure will be changed so that lead will handle the throw-in. Here is the problem with trail or C handling the throw-in. If trail is handling a throw-in 1 to 4 feet from the baseline, trying to make a good bounce pass to OOB player, backing up, avoiding the feet of the players on the bench, being nearly straight lined with OOB player. Lead has moved away from the OOB player to a few feet from the FT line extended. Under these conditions no one is in a good position to see if the defense hits the ball back to OOB player and it hits OOB player or not. Or if defensive players are pressuring the throw in, then alot can happen in that corner. If trail backs out and turns his attention to the off ball, paint, screens, etc. and lead handles the ball, you have much better coverage. I have run this same play many times, experimenting with L or T handling. There is no doubt in my mind that L should handle the ball. Remember 3 person is relatively new to the high school level for most states. Which is apparent when NFHS adopted the "flex". The flex is ok when you get use to it, but trying to bring in a rookie from 2 person to 3 person and they usually worry about the roatation & forget to officiate the game. Of course Arkansas is the only state that has a shortage of BB officials. Ha! Ha! Looking forward to Oct. 12, first game.