[QUOTE]Originally posted by mick
Quote:
Originally posted by dhodges007
Quote:
Originally posted by JRutledge
Quote:
Originally posted by Camron Rust
Quote:
Actually, the NF does allow for the lead to bounce the ball up the sideline for a throw-in below the FT line extended. It is not, however, required. It is left to the discretion of the officials based on the game. Also, if the call was on the trail's line, the trail would administer the throw-in. The purpose of this rules is to keep the trail/lead essentially performing a switch on an OOB sitution deep on the lead's line.
That is in two man, not three. To person the Trail is the only official that bounces the ball to a player on the sideline. The lead only worries about his line and the post players.
Rut, you can bounce it if you are the Lead and they are right there on the corner...if you pregame it!

Denny, as of when did this become a mechanic? This year?
Below is last year's change.

List of major changes to be reflected in the
1999-2000/2000-2001 Basketball Officials Manual
The following items reflect the major changes to be reflected in the 1999-2000/2000-2001 Basketball Officials Manual:

5. When the designated spot throw-in is to be taken on the sideline, below the free throw line extended (ball remaining in the frontcourt), the Lead official may remain on the endline and bounce the ball to the thrower (two official crews only). (220)

mick
Mick, is that Women's mechanics?

My two sense!
Old Tue Jun 26, 2001, 11:53am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
Quote:
Originally posted by Kelvin green
If ball is below FT line extended it is Lead, above FT line extended it is trail. I dont think you need to avoid inbounds from sideline near baseline. NF changed mechanics even to accomodate this better the last couple of years.
I believe you're mistaken. The official NF mechanic is for the trail to administer all throw-ins on the sideline, no matter how deep in the corner it may be. As rpwall stated, that's the purpose of the bounce pass. Position the thrower, back out, and bounce the ball to him.
Actually, the NF does allow for the lead to bounce the ball up the sideline for a throw-in below the FT line extended. It is not, however, required. It is left to the discretion of the officials based on the game. Also, if the call was on the trail's line, the trail would administer the throw-in. The purpose of this rules is to keep the trail/lead essentially performing a switch on an OOB sitution deep on the lead's line.
Not in 3 man Cameron, only in 2 man.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Tue Jun 26, 2001, 11:56am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
now philosophy...

I like the idea of lead bouncing ball to someone (below FT Line).... My question my moving the player up the sideline does the person gain an advantage?

If someone has made a great/mediocre/marginal defensive play that forced the ball OOB and lets say it gets kicked out just a couple of feet from the baseline then by moving it up the sideline so that trail can get anywhere to administer now opens up the floor . The player can go left and right where as closer to the baseline the player is more handcuffed by the baseline. This may create an advantage, some what slight but there are coaches who would raise a serious rucous moving the ball up the floor for an inbounds pass.
I don't think anyone is advocating moving the player back toward the FT line extended. The trail simply points out the spot to the thrower and then backs out before bouncing the ball.

Old Tue Jun 26, 2001, 11:59am
Official Forum Member

Re: Re: Re: Re: Not in 3 man.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by mick
5. When the designated spot throw-in is to be taken on the sideline, below the free throw line extended (ball remaining in the frontcourt), the Lead official may remain on the endline and bounce the ball to the thrower (two official crews only). (220)

mick
No, that is directly from the NF Officials Manual. It's for both men and women.

The problem with "if you pregame it!" is that it is not the NF mechanic. What other exceptions are you going to make to the official mechanics? You're better off following the manual, that way there's no deviation.

Old Tue Jun 26, 2001, 12:06pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Not in 3 man.

Quote:

The problem with "if you pregame it!" is that it is not the NF mechanic. What other exceptions are you going to make to the official mechanics? You're better off following the manual, that way there's no deviation.
IIRC, when the change first came out, one source said "only two-person" and another did not make that restriction. Some states adopted the mechanic for both two- and three-person, some just for two-person. And, some crews / officials deviate from the established mechanics.

Continuing to argue this is like discussing whehter there's a shot clock in HS ball (in some states it's yes, and in some it's no)
Old Tue Jun 26, 2001, 12:20pm
Official Forum Member

Not in 3 man.

Quote:
Originally posted by bob jenkins
Quote:

IIRC, when the change first came out, one source said "only two-person" and another did not make that restriction. Some states adopted the mechanic for both two- and three-person, some just for two-person. And, some crews / officials deviate from the established mechanics.

Continuing to argue this is like discussing whehter there's a shot clock in HS ball (in some states it's yes, and in some it's no)
Bob, that may be true. However, the official mechanic from the NF is that it's not allowed. That's what's printed in the manual. If your state says to do it, then do it. Some crews do deviate from the official mechanics. That doesn't make it correct.

Besides, it's too hot to do anything else. Just as well pick a topic and beat it to death!

Old Tue Jun 26, 2001, 01:53pm
In Memoriam

CCA Womens' Mechanic 2000-2001

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by mick

The following items reflect the major changes to be reflected in the 1999-2000/2000-2001 Basketball Officials Manual:

Denny,

For CCA Women (last season): "The L official will administer all throw-ins on the endline or on the sideline inside the free throw line extended of the offensive team's front court."

The other, as Tony mentioned, was for last year's NFHS use, unless as Bob mentioned, the states changed stuff.

It's second day in the 90's U.P. here. I'm melting, I'm melting....
mick

Old Tue Jun 26, 2001, 07:05pm
Do not give a damn!!

Re: Re: Not in 3 man.

Quote:
[i]Originally posted by dhodges007 [/B]

Rut, you can bounce it if you are the Lead and they are right there on the corner...if you pregame it! [/B][/QUOTE]

You can say anything in your pregame, but if you do that in the area that I live and you are being evaluated by HS and college assignors, you will not move past Junior High games.

There is no mechanic that allows for the lead to ever put the ball in other than the baseline or endline. In any college or even the NBA that I am aware of.

Now you have the right in your area to do whatever you feel, but if you do that in my area, you will never be taught that mechanic.

Peace
Old Wed Jun 27, 2001, 02:56pm
Official Forum Member

college women as noted above and nba do teach the lead to inbound ball,
Old Wed Jun 27, 2001, 06:23pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to dhodges007 Send a message via Yahoo to dhodges007
Cool

Quote:
college women as noted above and nba do teach the lead to inbound ball,
That is what I thought...thanks

My two sense!
Old Wed Jun 27, 2001, 07:10pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Not in 3 man.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by JRutledge
Quote:
Quote:
That is in two man, not three. To person the Trail is the only official that bounces the ball to a player on the sideline. The lead only worries about his line and the post players.
True. Working in a state that uses two-man exclusively, I don't pay as much attention to the 3-man differences. Thus, I didn't think to make the distinction.
Old Sat Jun 30, 2001, 01:45pm
Official Forum Member

3 person mechanics

I have been using 3 person mechanics in high school for 7+ years. I believe that when the new NFHS mechanics book is published that the above procedure will be changed so that lead will handle the throw-in. Here is the problem with trail or C handling the throw-in. If trail is handling a throw-in 1 to 4 feet from the baseline, trying to make a good bounce pass to OOB player, backing up, avoiding the feet of the players on the bench, being nearly straight lined with OOB player. Lead has moved away from the OOB player to a few feet from the FT line extended. Under these conditions no one is in a good position to see if the defense hits the ball back to OOB player and it hits OOB player or not. Or if defensive players are pressuring the throw in, then alot can happen in that corner. If trail backs out and turns his attention to the off ball, paint, screens, etc. and lead handles the ball, you have much better coverage. I have run this same play many times, experimenting with L or T handling. There is no doubt in my mind that L should handle the ball. Remember 3 person is relatively new to the high school level for most states. Which is apparent when NFHS adopted the "flex". The flex is ok when you get use to it, but trying to bring in a rookie from 2 person to 3 person and they usually worry about the roatation & forget to officiate the game. Of course Arkansas is the only state that has a shortage of BB officials. Ha! Ha! Looking forward to Oct. 12, first game.
Old Sat Jun 30, 2001, 10:49pm
Official Forum Member

Re: 3 person mechanics

Quote:
Originally posted by Jerry Baldwin
I have been using 3 person mechanics in high school for 7+ years. I believe that when the new NFHS mechanics book is published that the above procedure will be changed so that lead will handle the throw-in.
Jerry, the revisions to this year's Officials' Manual are published on the web page pasted below. The change that you've suggested is not listed.

http://www.nfhs.org/sports/basketbal..._revisions.htm

Old Sun Jul 01, 2001, 11:20pm
Do not give a damn!!

Exclamation 2 Person, 2 person, 2 person.

For the last time, the Lead in a 3 person game in NFHS, never puts the ball in on the sideline. The change was only for 2 person, not 3 person.

The Lead has not sideline responibility anyway, so why would the Lead be putting the ball in at that position.
Old Mon Jul 02, 2001, 10:51am
Official Forum Member

First I agree with you about NFHS manual after reading posts and checking it out...
But to answer your question about why would you want lead to throw in the ball when it is not their sideline.

1) Lokk at the scenario if Ball went OOB 2 ft from baseline. Why not have lead throw it in and only make the two foot bounce pass instead of trail making a 26+ ft bounce pass down the side line in the front court? Or having the player move up and give them better position on the floor?

2) NBA, WNBA, NCAA Women cant all be wrong. They obviously think that fron on-ball/off ball coverage and plane violatons that it is easier to call from the lead than an AT&T call from the trail.