Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Mar 06, 2006, 05:19am
Huck Finn

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by tomegun
I find it ironic that we bash the NBA for the players' actions but say nothing of the outlandish mechanics that come mostly from college. . . do not like to see cartoonish behavior that borders on the ridiculous.
"Outlandish"? "Cartoonish"? What sorts of signals are you talking about, Tom?
I'm talking about any mechanic that is taken over the edge to put on a show or emphasize a call. I'm sure we will see many calls like this with the tournament coming up. The majority of NBA officials use calm mechanics.
Old Mon Mar 06, 2006, 08:35am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
I'm talking about any mechanic that is taken over the edge to put on a show or emphasize a call. I'm sure we will see many calls like this with the tournament coming up. The majority of NBA officials use calm mechanics.
The majority of NCAA officials also use calm mechanics. Like many things, some officials mimic what they see on TV. The NBA used to use exaggerated signals to sell a block or a good basket. We see some of that in the college ranks now. But I think the vast majority of college officials do not use outlandish or cartoonish signals.
Old Mon Mar 06, 2006, 08:45am
Huck Finn

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
Quote:
The majority of NCAA officials also use calm mechanics. Like many things, some officials mimic what they see on TV. The NBA used to use exaggerated signals to sell a block or a good basket. We see some of that in the college ranks now. But I think the vast majority of college officials do not use outlandish or cartoonish signals.
We will agree to disagree on this one. I hate to name names but I will say that I've (in a group of officials) been told to do things one way only to see something different on national TV (by the same person). I've seen your mechanics and come tournament time, compare what you do (which is good) with some of the things we will see on TV. I don't think calm will be a good word to describe them.
Old Mon Mar 06, 2006, 10:11am
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally posted by JRutledge
Trigger,

Are you talking about a D2 Women's game? The punch is only in the Women's game (authorized).

Peace
No, it was a men's game. Thanks for correcting me; I forgot they were different!
Old Mon Mar 06, 2006, 11:43am
Official Forum Member

In my area we use the player control signal only for player control fouls.

Other fouls which happen to be a team control foul still get the proper signal, (push,hold,block) and point the other way, usually with "that way" or similar to help convey direction. Sometimes the initial signal is foregone and the fist and direction is only used (usually simultaneously), but at the table the proper signal is displayed.

I don't care what fans think...but the only time I had to explain a situation was when a foul was called during a throw in and the coach wanted to know why we were shooting the 1 and 1, because she knew the rule (or rather "a" rule) had been changed but wasn't aware of the team control concept during a throw in for FED, which we all know is different than NCAA, which is what you see on TV.

I told her there is no team control during a throw in, she seemed a bit perplexed but didn't put up any argument.

Edited for spelling.