The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Mar 04, 2006, 09:18am
Official Forum Member

Does anyone else feel the mechanics for the NFHS team control foul is unnecessarily complicated/confusing for fans and coaches to figure out?? My suggestion is to call the foul fist up and then point it toward the other basket. Similar to the player control foul without the hand behind the neck, Then point to the out of bounds spot. I believe it would reduce the confusion at the lower level games as to what was that call, why aren't we shooting free throws, ect. Just a thought what does everyone think?? I am new to the forum and officiating for four years.
Old Sat Mar 04, 2006, 10:55am
Official Forum Member

One of the reasons I heard for putting the hand behind the head was to emphasize for all (players, coaches, spectators) that no free throws would be awarded for a team control foul.

The logic being everyone who sees that signal should associate it with no free throws.
Old Sat Mar 04, 2006, 03:52pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up

Thanx
I didn't know about the roots of the hand to neck mechanic.
Old Sat Mar 04, 2006, 04:10pm
Do not give a damn!!

Maybe I am misunderstanding something from this post, but there is not "Team control" foul signal in NF. The mechanic procedure is to call the foul with hand up, signal the type of foul (block, push or hold), and then point in the direction you are going, then point to the spot you will be taking the ball out at. There is no "team control" signal as there is at the college level or similar to the PC control signal that is used in NF mechanics.

Do I think there needs to be a "team control" signal? Of course there needs to be such a signal. I think there is too much confusion with partners and participants what is going on. I have called several team control fouls this year and officials made a big production because they thought we were shooting FTs. I just think the NF is spending too much time trying to be different or not embracing certain mechanic from the college level because in my opinion Mary Struckoff and others on the committee are probably in conflict with whether to use Men's or Women's college mechanics.

Peace
Old Sun Mar 05, 2006, 04:58pm
Official Forum Member

Sorry for the confusion, but yes that was the intent of my post. To see I was the only one seeing the need for a
"Team Control Foul"
Old Sun Mar 05, 2006, 07:23pm
Official Forum Member

I don't think a signal makes any difference. I still hear fans yelling for FTs on PC fouls and we've been using a signal for years.

I usually raise the fist and point the direction of the team that's getting the ball.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Sun Mar 05, 2006, 08:04pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
I don't usually disagree with Tony, but I think a signal is necessary. I think it will help with communication with coaches, table and partners. The lack of any signal at all is, IMHO, awkward at best and confusing at worst.
Old Sun Mar 05, 2006, 08:45pm
Huck Finn

I think too much emphasis is placed on rule book mechanics and not enough on clear signals that communicate. That being said, I also think this new rule will take some time to sink in with the coaches, players and fans no matter what signal is used.
In addition to a decrease in the usage of the voice to communicate, I think text-book mechanics are withering away in favor of dynamic displays after tooting the tooter I find it ironic that we bash the NBA for the players' actions but say nothing of the outlandish mechanics that come mostly from college. I'm all for individuality - I should be since I can't remember the last time I put my hand behind my head at the spot of the foul - but do not like to see cartoonish behavior that borders on the ridiculous.
Old Sun Mar 05, 2006, 09:00pm
Official Forum Member

In the state of GA, we adopted the mechanic intitally referenced (NCAA) for team control this year as well as number reporting using both hands. It works well and coaches, players, and yes even some fans have adapted. Next year, we will even experiment with the strong side rotation procedures as the NBA (lead rotates strong side as ball crosses division line).
Old Sun Mar 05, 2006, 09:18pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by tomegun
I find it ironic that we bash the NBA for the players' actions but say nothing of the outlandish mechanics that come mostly from college. . . do not like to see cartoonish behavior that borders on the ridiculous.
"Outlandish"? "Cartoonish"? What sorts of signals are you talking about, Tom?
Old Sun Mar 05, 2006, 11:57pm
Official Forum Member

When we had our initial meetings in Texas, they wanted us to use the player control signal on all team control fouls. As far as I know, no one ever did it (because it was a totally STUPID idea). At least, I never saw it done.

Really, all that needs to be done is the foul call with the fist, then point in the direction of the new team control. Being ampidextrious helps you sell the call from all angles.
Old Mon Mar 06, 2006, 12:14am
Administrator

I hope that I can bring a different perspective to this thread.

The rule that the NCAA adopted in 2004-05 and the NFHS adopted in 2005-06 is not a new rule.

The NBCUSC (National Basketball Committee of the United States and Canada; the predecessor to the NFHS and NCAA) had the team control until the 1977-78 or 1978-79 season (I am not sure which season and I don't feel like climbing up into the attic to confirm which season). I know that FIBA has had a team control foul since before 1970 and NAGWS (National Association of Women and Girls in Sports; the rules that the AIAW (women's college) used until the NCAA took over women's college sports had a team control foul rule because NAGWS rules were adopted from FIBA rules.

The mechanic used in FIBA and the mechanic that was used back in the ancient days was as follows, and I am going to paraphrase part of the first paragraph in Rut's post: The mechanic procedure is to call the foul with hand up, signal the type of foul (block, push or hold), then point in the direction of the team who is to receive the ensuing throw-in, and are going, then point to the spot of the throw-in.

If my memory is correct, we officials never had a problem with a team wanting to shoot free throws because everybody was familiar with the rule because it had been in place for years. Now we have a generation of coaches, players, fans, and etc., that have no knowledge of the ancient ways, and they get confused (See Tony's post about fans still yelling for free throws for player control fouls.

So what do I do when I have a team control foul in a NFHS game? I am a bad bad boy, I use the NCAA mechanic, everybody understands what the hand behind the head means, I hope.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Mon Mar 06, 2006, 01:00am
Official Forum Member

I went to a D-II conference championship game this afternoon in Minnesota. Twice on illegal screen calls, the calling official went behind his head instead of going with the punch to signify team control.

One of the guys works alot of D-1 as well, and he will be a clinician at two of the camps I attend this summer, so I will ask him about it then. I'm sure though that his answer will be something like, "It doesn't really matter what mechanic we used there, it clarified the situation for everyone."

Absolutely true for three guys doing the title game, but as someone trying to break in to that conference, I'll stick with the punch until told otherwise, because I believe it to be mechanically correct.
Old Mon Mar 06, 2006, 01:33am
Do not give a damn!!

Trigger,

Are you talking about a D2 Women's game? The punch is only in the Women's game (authorized).

Peace
Old Mon Mar 06, 2006, 02:12am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by TriggerMN
I went to a D-II conference championship game this afternoon in Minnesota. Twice on illegal screen calls, the calling official went behind his head instead of going with the punch to signify team control.

One of the guys works alot of D-1 as well, and he will be a clinician at two of the camps I attend this summer, so I will ask him about it then. I'm sure though that his answer will be something like, "It doesn't really matter what mechanic we used there, it clarified the situation for everyone."

Absolutely true for three guys doing the title game, but as someone trying to break in to that conference, I'll stick with the punch until told otherwise, because I believe it to be mechanically correct.
The punch is only mechanically correct in the women's game. NOT in NFHS games, not in NCAA-mens games as Rut alluded to.