View Single Post
Old Wed Feb 22, 2006, 08:31am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by TriggerMN
Quote:
Originally posted by CW30
Not only did the guy on my team take it. But the ref called a foul on him because he said you cant take a charge under the hoop. I havent officiated in 5 years and I know that you can take a charge anywhere on the court.
This statement can be true by rule for both NBA and NCAA women's games.
So many misconceptions in this thread. Jeez. It seems like I have to repeat this every single time this topic comes up. So here goes:

Even in NBA and NCAAW it is possible to draw a charge directly beneath the basket!!!! However, it's only possible on certain kinds of plays.

In the NBA:
  • the Restricted Area rules apply only to a secondary defender. The primary defender can take a charge anywhere. But the "help" defender cannot be in the semi-circle.
  • the Restricted Area rules don't apply at all if the play begins inside the Lower Defensive Box.
  • the Restricted Area rules don't allow the offensive player to use his non-shooting arm to clear space or to prevent the defender from attacking the ball. Using the arm this way would still be an offensive foul.
  • the Restricted Area rules don't mandate that any contact within the semi-circle must be called a block. The official has the discretion to no-call it.

In NCAAW:
  • A player control foul may be called directly under the basket if the play is a drive parallel to the endline.

Let's please try to understand the actual rules before we give sweeping generalities.