Thread: Taking a charge
View Single Post
Old Wed Feb 22, 2006, 08:51am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:
Originally posted by SamIAm
Slow down CW30, All but one mens rec leagues I dealt with were ncaa rules, so first double check what rules you use.
Second, "I havent officiated in 5 years and I know that you can take a charge anywhere on the court." - wrong (kind of)(NCAA)
A1(on a layup)charges into B1 who is setup behind backboard, does not get a charging foul called unless the shot is missed and B1 is at a rebounding disadvantage or putting the ball in play disadvantage.

I paraphrased, but the meaning is there. My memory tells me that the way this is called allows B1 to be under the basket, and still the charge is ignored, again NCAA.

The missing semi circle has little bearing on what rules the league defined as the rule-set.

Either way, be kind to the official, or stop playing and start refereeing, you can't do both.
Sam, you're referring to NCAA Womens rules only, right? The Women reference the circle; the NCCAA Mens rules are the same as NFHS rules, I believe.

Btw, CW30 said above that they did use high school rules.
JR, I am at work now and going by memory from what I read last night.

NCAA Rule Book 2001 is my latest NCAA rule book. Rule 4-8
defines charging. There are 4 case plays, the first being for mens, the next 3 for womens. The first one (mens) is what I paraphrased. (edit - 2 ARs one for men and - one for women)

I will try to look up NCAA rules online and confirm or deny this post for accuracy. (edit - confirmed)

edited - AR 6 is the case play for men. AR 7 for women.
AR 6 is the same as I paraphrased above. The online NCAA rules were dated 2004.
Womens AR says under the basket.
Mens AR says behind backboard.

[Edited by SamIAm on Feb 22nd, 2006 at 09:11 AM]