The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Feb 12, 2006, 08:29pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
I just got off the conference call and I brought up a couple of situations that we've discussed recently involving double fouls.

1) Team B scores. While A1 has the ball OOB for the throw-in after the score, A2 and B2 foul each other at the same time. Does Team A retain the privilege of running the endline?

Peter Webb's answer is no. The ensuing throw-in is not the result of a score, but of a double foul. This is not a common foul, therefore the throw-in is from a designated spot.

2) A1 and B1 create a held ball. The alternating possession arrow favors Team A. While A1 has the ball OOB for the AP throw-in, A2 and B2 foul each other at the same time. Will the arrow be switched after the resulting throw-in?

Peter Webb's answer is no. Team A never completed its AP throw-in and the ensuing throw-in is NOT an AP throw-in. Therefore, the arrow is not switched.

The call ran long and I did not bring up the question about the varsity player that dunks during the JV halftime. I think that we hashed that one out pretty well on the forum, tho. No T, right?

Just passing it along.
Old Sun Feb 12, 2006, 08:36pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Neat stuff. I remember Pete Webb coming to my first IAABO class back in 1976 while I was a student at UMaine.
Old Sun Feb 12, 2006, 09:27pm
Official Forum Member

Talking

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
I just got off the conference call and I brought up a couple of situations that we've discussed recently involving double fouls.

1) Team B scores. While A1 has the ball OOB for the throw-in after the score, A2 and B2 foul each other at the same time. Does Team A retain the privilege of running the endline?

Peter Webb's answer is no. The ensuing throw-in is not the result of a score, but of a double foul. This is not a common foul, therefore the throw-in is from a designated spot.
"This is not a common foul..."

I said this from the get-go. Of course, I still want to hear it from the NFHS.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Sun Feb 12, 2006, 10:44pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias

2) A1 and B1 create a held ball. The alternating possession arrow favors Team A. While A1 has the ball OOB for the AP throw-in, A2 and B2 foul each other at the same time. Will the arrow be switched after the resulting throw-in?

Peter Webb's answer is no. Team A never completed its AP throw-in and the ensuing throw-in is NOT an AP throw-in. Therefore, the arrow is not switched.

The call ran long and I did not bring up the question about the varsity player that dunks during the JV halftime. I think that we hashed that one out pretty well on the forum, tho. No T, right?

Just passing it along.

Isn't that what I said?

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Sun Feb 12, 2006, 11:35pm
Official Forum Member

Chuck, thanks for sharing that. It does lend something to our hashing these plays out on here, on the other hand none of us, including Peter Webb, is going to have the final say on this. So, I guess we're stuck waiting for next year's clarifications and interps from the NFHS.

Old Mon Feb 13, 2006, 12:03am
Official Forum Member

I have no idea how these things work. Do IAABO interpreters communicate and/or work closely with NFHS? Might Peter Webb have consulted with NFHS before reporting his interpretation? Are they, in any way, competitors for money or anything else?
Old Mon Feb 13, 2006, 01:51am
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Rick Durkee
I have no idea how these things work. Do IAABO interpreters communicate and/or work closely with NFHS? Might Peter Webb have consulted with NFHS before reporting his interpretation? Are they, in any way, competitors for money or anything else?

Peter Webb, is both the IAABO State Interpreter for Maine and the State Interpreter for the Maine Principals Association (which is the member organization to the NFHS) which is the StateHSAA for Maine. Peter spent two terms on the NFHS Basketball Rules Committee, and is considered by many to be the formost rules person regarding NFHS basketball Rules. He is also the Laison between IAABO and NFHS.

MTD, Sr.
Toledo, Ohio
Old Mon Feb 13, 2006, 03:39am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.
Quote:

Peter Webb, is both the IAABO State Interpreter for Maine and the State Interpreter for the Maine Principals Association (which is the member organization to the NFHS) which is the StateHSAA for Maine. Peter spent two terms on the NFHS Basketball Rules Committee, and is considered by many to be the formost rules person regarding NFHS basketball Rules. He is also the Laison between IAABO and NFHS.

MTD, Sr.
And any interpretations that he makes are still not valid outside Maine, as Nevada alluded to.

You forgot to add that, Mark.
Old Mon Feb 13, 2006, 06:58am
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:
Quote:

MTD, Sr.
And any interpretations that he makes are still not valid outside Maine, as Nevada alluded to.

JR:

Being and IAABO Board rules intepreter is no different than being the rules interpreter for any local basketball officials association. An interpreter is an official who has studied the rules in detail, knows the rules, casebook, and officials manual forwards and backwards, as well has an understanding of the history of how the rules have been developled.

I would also say that since he served two terms on the NFHS Rules Committee and still represents the Maine Principals Association (a member of the NFHS) to the NFHS Rules Committee, I would say (as well as many other people who have positions of authority in the various StateHSAA's around the country) that Peter Webb is the formost expert on NFHS rules in the country.

And from Chuck's telephone conversation with Peter, it sounds like Peter gave the same interpretations that I gave per the NFHS Rules.

MTD, Sr,
Toledo, Ohio
Old Mon Feb 13, 2006, 08:12am
In Memoriam

Quote:
[/QUOTE]

JR, Nevada,
Good call.
mick
Old Mon Feb 13, 2006, 08:14am
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Our state interpreter does call Peter for rules clarifications from time to time. The rulings he makes DO extend beyond Maine, but they are IAABO rulings. Our interpreter is on the rules committee for the next term. I will certainly mention the players calling time out as a thing to consider.
Old Mon Feb 13, 2006, 08:53am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

MTD, Sr.

JR:

Being an IAABO Board rules intepreter is no different than being the rules interpreter for any local basketball officials association. An interpreter is an official who has studied the rules in detail, knows the rules, casebook, and officials manual forwards and backwards, as well has an understanding of the history of how the rules have been developed.

I would also say that since he served two terms on the NFHS Rules Committee and still represents the Maine Principals Association (a member of the NFHS) to the NFHS Rules Committee, I would say (as well as many other people who have positions of authority in the various StateHSAA's around the country) that Peter Webb is the formost expert on NFHS rules in the country.

And from Chuck's telephone conversation with Peter, it sounds like Peter gave the same interpretations that I gave per the NFHS Rules.

MTD, Sr,
I agree with you completely, Mark. Peter is about as rules-knowledgable as they come and he certainly is a recognized expert.

However, that really has nothing to do with the point that Nevada made and I agreed with though. Any interpretations that Peter gives out are still only valid in the state where he is the person officially speaking for that particular state's governing association. His interpretations are not valid outside of Maine, unless an official interpreter/governing body responsible for a different state, say MASS, also issues a similar interpretation agreeing with it. Correct?
Old Mon Feb 13, 2006, 09:17am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by 26 Year Gap
Our interpreter is on the rules committee for the next term.
Are you in Vermont? The Region 1 member is from Vermont.

Quote:
I will certainly mention the players calling time out as a thing to consider.
The issue of propsed rule changes was discussed on the conference call as well. When the topic of not allowing coaches to request TO came up, you would not believe the chorus of "Amen"s that arose. Glad I suggested it!
Old Mon Feb 13, 2006, 02:34pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by 26 Year Gap
Our state interpreter does call Peter for rules clarifications from time to time. The rulings he makes DO extend beyond Maine, but they are IAABO rulings. Our interpreter is on the rules committee for the next term. I will certainly mention the players calling time out as a thing to consider.

There is no such animal as an IAABO interpretation. If you ask the interpreter of an IAABO Board for an interpretation for a game played under NFHS or NCAA rules, he will give you an intepretation using those rules just like anyother local basketball officials association interpreter would do.

MTD, Sr.
Toledo, Ohio
Old Mon Feb 13, 2006, 03:29pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Let me put it to you this way. Mary Struckoff is the Editor of the NF Basketball Rule Committee. Mary Struckoff used to be over the IHSA Official's Department. She left that position to take on the position she currently holds with the NF. Mary Hickman is the Executive Director of the IHSA. Hickman once sat on the NF Basketball Committee and has known Struckoff for years when both of them were just Assistant Executive Directors in the IHSA Office. If Illinois wants and official ruling, she is a phone call away as well as our state is right next to the state where the NF office is located. I am sure the people at IAABO have great ties and work with the NF. I know that if our state wants something clarified in many sports, we get the information straight from people that work together or people that know each other very well. If any of these plays were a problem here, we would get a ruling about them through our Official's Department which would get the information directly from the NF. So this ruling would not apply to people in Illinois unless they felt the NF had not been clear at first and then asked the NF for clarification. In basketball that would be a call to Mary Struckoff. In other sports it might be call someone in the office. I am sure there are IAABO members on the NF Committee and have similar access. It is just that these plays might have been an issue in this region and not an issue in other areas. So the interpreter for IAABO decided to share what they found out.

Peace