The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Feb 16, 2006, 12:47pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to shawn29
Ball thrown length of the court by A1, hits the floor just outside the 3 point line, bounces into A's basket. Clock is not a factor here,3 points, or 2?
Old Thu Feb 16, 2006, 12:48pm
Official Forum Member

Old Thu Feb 16, 2006, 01:15pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
This one could go in the FAQ, too.
Old Thu Feb 16, 2006, 01:19pm
Official Forum Member

Rule reference to show that its a 2 point basket please. And I missed this question if it has been addressed previously. Thanx for the responses.
Old Thu Feb 16, 2006, 01:23pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by shawn29
Rule reference to show that its a 2 point basket please. And I missed this question if it has been addressed previously. Thanx for the responses.
See case book play 5.1.1(a). The 3-point try ended when it was certain it would be unsuccessful or the try hits the floor, as per rule 4-41-4.
Old Thu Feb 16, 2006, 01:37pm
Official Forum Member

J.R.

In 5.1.1.A A pass, a tap or a try for field goal by A1 comes down several feet in front of the basket. I didnt take that to mean that it bounced from outside the 3 point line. 5.2.1.B makes me think this is a 3 point basket by saying that in this play it is 3 regardless of whether the thrown ball was an actual try for goal. Can you shed anymore light on this for me. Thanx again.
Old Thu Feb 16, 2006, 01:52pm
In Memoriam

Re: J.R.

Quote:
In 5.1.1.A A pass, a tap or a try for field goal by A1 comes down several feet in front of the basket. I didnt take that to mean that it bounced from outside the 3 point line. 5.2.1.B makes me think this is a 3 point basket by saying that in this play it is 3 regardless of whether the thrown ball was an actual try for goal. Can you shed anymore light on this for me. Thanx again.
Shawn, it doesn't matter where it bounces. If it bounces, the 3-point try is over.

The language in 5.1.1 is very explicit-- "The tap or the try for for field goal by A1 ends when the ball touches the floor but a field goal is sometimes not the result of a tap or try".

Rule 5-2-1 is also very explicit--"A ball that touches the floor....counts two points for the team into whose basket the ball is thrown".
Old Thu Feb 16, 2006, 01:52pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to stewcall
Re: J.R.

Quote:
read rule 5.2.1 a succesfule try tap or thrown ball that does not touch the FLOOR,.......... from the field by a playert who is located behind the team's own 19 foot 9 inch line counts as three.
by rule it can not be a 3 point basket
stew in VA
CVBOA
Old Thu Feb 16, 2006, 02:07pm
Official Forum Member

Talking

Could yall explain it one more time? J/K ive got it now. Thank you guys.
Old Thu Feb 16, 2006, 02:36pm
Official Forum Member

I don't believe that this was clearly stated in the original post, but if this happened on a throw-in, it is a violation as per rule 9-2-7.

If the thrower was inbounds, then disregard my ramblings...