The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Feb 09, 2006, 03:20pm
Official Forum Member

I am a first year ref. What value are camps? Many prior threads talk about the "exposure" you get at these camps, most say its an easy way for guys to get their camps reffed for free, no real exposure, just indenture. What will I get out a camp and how many bones will it cost me? If I wanted to attend, any recommendations on camps in Michigan?
Old Thu Feb 09, 2006, 03:36pm
Official Forum Member

I'm a big fan of officials camps. However, there are a couple of kinds. One is the tryout or exposure camp. The point of these camps is to strut your stuff and get seen (and hopefully hired) by supervisors. Often there is little, if any, feedback given at these camps. Probably not a good fit for a first year official.

Another kind of camp is the teaching camp. There will normally be a clinician or two at each game you work who will talk to you before and after the game, and at breaks. The purpose is to help you improve. And if you'll take the advice and really try it, you will improve. IMHO this is one of the best things you can do to progress as an official.

Try to remember how much specific feedback you got from higher level officials during this past season. Your partners normally have their hands full with their own duties. So partners don't often have much feedback, unless you did something noticably wrong. Often times the varsity guys won't say a lot. If they do, great! But those times are usually few and far between. So over the course of a season you just don't get a lot of feedback.

Now imagine you spend two or three days, work 6-10 games, and there is an experienced, knowledgeable official watching everything you do and giving you more-or-less immediate feedback. During a timeout he asks you to try something that may help you get a better look. 30 seconds later, you're back on the court trying it out for yourself. Perhaps the game is getting a little out of hand, and you're not sure what to do about it. At the next break, there is somebody there who can give advice on what to do to clean it up. Maybe there are things in your mechanics or mannerisms that you don't even realize are causing you problems, but the clinician will pick up on it and bring it to your attention. I usually come away from a teaching camp with enough things to work on to keep me busy for the coming season.

Just my $0.02
Old Thu Feb 09, 2006, 03:45pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to VaLadyRef
I absolutely recommend going to camp! Since I am not in Michigan, I can't speak of the camps there. Definitely research them before making a decision. Cost is going to vary, depending on which camp you choose. I am in Virginia and I attended the Virginia High School League Camp. This camp is designed for first and second year officials. Last year was my first season officiating and this camp has paid tremendous dividends this season. My cost was only $90.00 and that included 4 days of accomodations (college dorm) and all meals. But that is definitely the least expensive camp in VA. The DIII camps and Officials Choice camps are in the neighborhood of $350-400 and I want to attend those in the future, that was just a bit much for my first camp.

I had to take vacation from work to attend the camp, and I will say that it was one of the best vacations I have had in a long time! (not sure what that says about me

It was my first exposure to 3 man and the first time that I was out on the court I felt like I was back at step one all over again...but it got better. I did receive Most Improved in the camp, but they really didn't have a choice, considering where I started from I have gotten a few Girls' Varsity games and both some Boys and Girls JV games this season, and I know that wouldn't have happened if I had not gone to camp in the summer. I also have had feedback from my commissioner about the benefits that camp has had in my officiating. I still have a long, long way to go, but I can't wait to go back to camp!

Old Thu Feb 09, 2006, 03:53pm
Official Forum Member

I really don't see how you could become a quality official without camps, especially if you are in a state where there are no classes required to become an official. As we all know, there is much more to this gig than what appears in the rulesbook, casebook, and illustrated manual. Personally, I'd reccomend working a season or two before going to camp. I think sometimes total newbies get a little overwhelmed at camps. I am in my 7th or 8th season (you'd think I'd remember which) and I still go to at least 2 camps a year. There is always something new to learn. It is also a great place to network. My main advice at a camp would be to adopt suggestions instantly. One of the best comments I recieved at an early camp is that when an evaluator mentioned something to me that should be changed, the next time they saw me, I had changed. Another big advantage is it keeps you sharp if you aren't working much in the spring, summer and fall. To sum it up, find a camp and go for sure.
Old Thu Feb 09, 2006, 04:53pm
Official Forum Member

I have no idea how you get games there. Where I work, you join a local chapter and the chapter assigment secretary doles out the games. Therefore, officials who are in their first few years of officiating concentrate on the two camps that the chapter conducts...assignment secretary attends both camps and watches (does not evaluate).

The first one in the summer is free. You normally get to work three (maybe four) games and local chapter members are the evaluators. We use a summer league at a local high school...mostly JV level.

The second one is much more widely attended, cost $125 and is held right before the start of school. Officials from all over the state attend, and evaluators are brought in from various locations as well. This one uses high school varsity "summer teams"...which means the varsity head coach is there "watching" his team. At this camp, you probably only get three games...but it is another chance to get seen by the assignment secretary. Since evaluators come from various areas...you are more likely to get conflicting advice. That is when you go ask you assignor how he thinks it should be handled...which also gives you a chance to make sure he knows you are working to improve.

All that description was to say that, IMO, at this point in your career the objectives are probably just to become a better official and get in front of the person assigning games. Speak to your assignor and ask him what camps he recommends. Ask him if he works any camps as an evaluator.

In a few years you can try one of those tryout camps. This is the first year I am considering going to a camp in another part of the state...simply to get some feedback and work before the camps held by my chapter.
Old Thu Feb 09, 2006, 05:23pm
In Memoriam

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally posted by lmeadski
I am a first year ref. What value are camps? Many prior threads talk about the "exposure" you get at these camps, most say its an easy way for guys to get their camps reffed for free, no real exposure, just indenture. What will I get out a camp and how many bones will it cost me? If I wanted to attend, any recommendations on camps in Michigan?
lmeadski,
I gonna talk to Jim Eastman tonight and ask when his camp is in Saginaw.
...Probably 3 days at end of June. Couple hundred bucks will feed you, train you, house you for 2-1/2 days.
For that you be humbled and more confident.
mick

Eastman is working a Tech coupla Tech games this weekend.
I've been there twice.
Old Thu Feb 09, 2006, 05:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by LarryS
I have no idea how you get games there. Where I work, you join a local chapter and the chapter assigment secretary doles out the games. Therefore, officials who are in their first few years of officiating concentrate on the two camps that the chapter conducts...assignment secretary attends both camps and watches (does not evaluate).
We have two local assignors (if that's what you want to call them). Most reffing crews have "ins" at schools and they usually get the majority of the contracts. I was encouraged to start reffing this year by one of the assignors (I work with her....great lady). I received a number of games from her and a well-established local ref that I had the pleasure of working with over the summer at tournaments (I was told I reffed a great game by a varsity coach, walked right by my partner...he asked me that night if I get registered would I work with his team).

In my first year I have done almost all JV, boys and girls, a few frosh, even fewer Jr High. I have been told I will move up and get a number of varsity games next year (boys and girls). I feel as if I should hone my trade prior to this.
Old Thu Feb 09, 2006, 05:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mick
Quote:
lmeadski,
...Probably 3 days at end of June. Couple hundred bucks will feed you, train you, house you for 2-1/2 days.
mick

I've been there twice.
I don't know why but his name is VERY familiar. I am from Saginaw, live in Traverse City now. Would like to learn more about his camps, or, hear directly from him/his organization about the particulars. Thanks, Mick!
Old Thu Feb 09, 2006, 07:30pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by mick
Quote:
lmeadski,
mick

I've been there twice.
I don't know why but his name is VERY familiar. I am from Saginaw, live in Traverse City now. Would like to learn more about his camps, or, hear directly from him/his organization about the particulars. Thanks, Mick!
lmeadski,
Yeah, he has a camp this year.
He also has a big burn-rip (melted polyester) in his pants knee from biting the hardwood tonight. [GLIAC Women's staff]

Write him or I could scan a brochure and send it to you.
Eastman, Jim
[email protected]

mick

mick

Old Fri Feb 10, 2006, 12:40am
Official Forum Member

tri-city camp

jim eastman camp is in july 21-22-23 at svsu in saginaw...you can download the registration form by going to honigs.com or "google" with jim eastman basketball camp...look to see you there this summer...going sking at boyne next week can meet you there if you need more info on the camp...
Old Fri Feb 10, 2006, 01:17am
Do not give a damn!!

I attend about 5 or 6 every summer in some capacity. I learn something every time I attend one or teach at one. I learn what my weakness is and what I am strong at. I like to get evaluated every year because I might think I am good at something or getting better and I was completely wrong. Or someone sees something that I never was told before. I am also a perfectionist. I want my game to be as polished as anyone will see. Only working will I get better. I like to see things during the summer so when the real season starts I have those things worked out. I am constantly working on this and camps are the "training camp" to help that along. I always recommend going to camps if you want to be more than just a guy/gal that just wants to blow the whistle for the money or if you want to advance in this hobby.

Peace
Old Fri Feb 10, 2006, 05:55am
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up

I went to Jim Eastman's camp last year. What a great experience!!! He has great people that work with him that have all kind of knowledge of the game, and how the game should be called. I will be going again this year. Saw him last night doing a MTU game last night,very good. Any further questions or hesitations please e-mail me.
Old Fri Feb 10, 2006, 07:09am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by Dave Dow
I will be going again this year.

Will you be taking your usual route, Dave?

Hop in the pick-up....turn left....drive off cliff.....
Old Fri Feb 10, 2006, 07:44am
Official Forum Member

I found out that having my wife driving is a lot safer, and having a local contractor with his loader pushing the bank over the hill. knowledge is safe