View Single Post
Old Thu Feb 09, 2006, 03:45pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to VaLadyRef
I absolutely recommend going to camp! Since I am not in Michigan, I can't speak of the camps there. Definitely research them before making a decision. Cost is going to vary, depending on which camp you choose. I am in Virginia and I attended the Virginia High School League Camp. This camp is designed for first and second year officials. Last year was my first season officiating and this camp has paid tremendous dividends this season. My cost was only $90.00 and that included 4 days of accomodations (college dorm) and all meals. But that is definitely the least expensive camp in VA. The DIII camps and Officials Choice camps are in the neighborhood of $350-400 and I want to attend those in the future, that was just a bit much for my first camp.

I had to take vacation from work to attend the camp, and I will say that it was one of the best vacations I have had in a long time! (not sure what that says about me

It was my first exposure to 3 man and the first time that I was out on the court I felt like I was back at step one all over again...but it got better. I did receive Most Improved in the camp, but they really didn't have a choice, considering where I started from I have gotten a few Girls' Varsity games and both some Boys and Girls JV games this season, and I know that wouldn't have happened if I had not gone to camp in the summer. I also have had feedback from my commissioner about the benefits that camp has had in my officiating. I still have a long, long way to go, but I can't wait to go back to camp!