View Single Post
Old Thu Feb 09, 2006, 04:53pm
Official Forum Member

I have no idea how you get games there. Where I work, you join a local chapter and the chapter assigment secretary doles out the games. Therefore, officials who are in their first few years of officiating concentrate on the two camps that the chapter conducts...assignment secretary attends both camps and watches (does not evaluate).

The first one in the summer is free. You normally get to work three (maybe four) games and local chapter members are the evaluators. We use a summer league at a local high school...mostly JV level.

The second one is much more widely attended, cost $125 and is held right before the start of school. Officials from all over the state attend, and evaluators are brought in from various locations as well. This one uses high school varsity "summer teams"...which means the varsity head coach is there "watching" his team. At this camp, you probably only get three games...but it is another chance to get seen by the assignment secretary. Since evaluators come from various areas...you are more likely to get conflicting advice. That is when you go ask you assignor how he thinks it should be handled...which also gives you a chance to make sure he knows you are working to improve.

All that description was to say that, IMO, at this point in your career the objectives are probably just to become a better official and get in front of the person assigning games. Speak to your assignor and ask him what camps he recommends. Ask him if he works any camps as an evaluator.

In a few years you can try one of those tryout camps. This is the first year I am considering going to a camp in another part of the state...simply to get some feedback and work before the camps held by my chapter.