View Single Post
Old Thu Feb 09, 2006, 05:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by LarryS
I have no idea how you get games there. Where I work, you join a local chapter and the chapter assigment secretary doles out the games. Therefore, officials who are in their first few years of officiating concentrate on the two camps that the chapter conducts...assignment secretary attends both camps and watches (does not evaluate).
We have two local assignors (if that's what you want to call them). Most reffing crews have "ins" at schools and they usually get the majority of the contracts. I was encouraged to start reffing this year by one of the assignors (I work with her....great lady). I received a number of games from her and a well-established local ref that I had the pleasure of working with over the summer at tournaments (I was told I reffed a great game by a varsity coach, walked right by my partner...he asked me that night if I get registered would I work with his team).

In my first year I have done almost all JV, boys and girls, a few frosh, even fewer Jr High. I have been told I will move up and get a number of varsity games next year (boys and girls). I feel as if I should hone my trade prior to this.