The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Feb 15, 2006, 08:33am
Huck Finn

I just read this thread for the first time this morning; funny stuff.
What procedure do you guys use to T a player for dunking? Do you put the whistle in your mouth, put air in it and give a normal T? The first thing I do is find out what the players number is since most warm-ups (at least some of them) don't have numbers on them. Then, I go to the book and tell them what we are going to do. Finally, I go to the coach and tell them what we are going to do. At some point during this process I will find out that the kid isn't on the junior varsity team and I would tell him to get off the court.

If you give the player a T, does he have to stay on the bench since you've basically made him part of the team?

Why would someone care what the fans think about allowing a "player" to dunk? Do you care about what you think for the entire game?

It is also funny to see someone take an interpreter's word as the gospel but not someone else who could have just as much/more knowledge? Do these people go to interpreter school and they can't be wrong?

The T is the easy way out because it will be easier to explain/defend to everyone on the spot. Not hard to understand. Oh, and I have never logged a T in the book.
Old Wed Feb 15, 2006, 08:15pm
Official Forum Member

OK. I've just spent far too much of my lunch break reading this post - but here is my 0.2c

I can't see how you can possible T the V player for the dunk. He is not a member of the team. Likewise, instructing the bench to add him and then T'ing up the team for adding a player is ridiculous.

What happens if a fan from Team A comes out on the court at half-time, dressed in Team B's uniform and dunks? Do you assess Team B with two T's (one for the dunk, one to add a player)?

Lastly - who cares if players dunk at 1/2 time. I realise that the NFHS & NCAA have made this a rule, but it stinks. In FIBA it is a T to grab the ring in warm ups, but dunks are fine. Regardless the vast majority of refs give a warning (to both teams) the first time a player grabs the ring in a warm up.

Visit www.geocities.com/oz_referee