The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jun 01, 2001, 01:06pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to larryl9797
Question

I am interested in becoming a basketball official. I have contacted my local board and signed up for the upcoming 'rookie' training sessions in October. I am looking to get input on what you see as a realistic picture of what officiating is. Basically, I am trying to better idea of what you (The non-rookie official) went through to get where you are. What’s good about what you do?, what’s bad? Why do you like doing this? What’s the average time commitment per week during the season for a new guy?

Thanks in advance

Larry L
Old Fri Jun 01, 2001, 02:20pm
Official Forum Member

Well Larry, I'm rolling up on a completion of my first year, so I can give a relatively fresh piece of input, for what it's worth.

The biggest thing I think you can, no...must do is KNOW THY RULES! Knowing the rules, inside and out, does lots of things for you: gets you out of trouble, keeps you out of trouble, projects confidence to the coaches while you're on the floor, and projects confidence to yourself and your partner.

Of course, the rules are the key to the game, and knowing the rules will help you hone your judgement immensely. If you aren't a competent official, coaches won't want you, 'bad-egg' players will become your worst nightmare, and, most importantly, assigners wont ring your phone.

Now, should you enjoy your advocation as an official, you'll like the challenge (believe me, it's a challenge!) that each game brings, and silly little things like reading the 'Official Forum' to discuss weird happenings during last night's game(s)! Of course, it's all in what you make it, and the attitude that you bring to the table. There's always new things to learn, even if you know all the rules, and it's fun (in a weird sort of way, at least for me) to look at a situation from 5 different angles as we do here and see exactly what the best course of action could be.

Other than that, if you're in a bigger part of town, you could probably officiate 5-6 nites a week if you're available (I wouldn't recomment that, though...), and you'll make enough money to buy yourself and your significant other an ice cream at the end of the week--maybe even with chocolate syrup on top!

Good Luck, and welcome to the 'Official Forum!'

Old Fri Jun 01, 2001, 02:50pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Dixon
Smile Answers to your questions . . . .

Larry

I would like to encourage you to take the time to read all the great ideas at our most recent addition -- http://www.StartOfficiating.com

If you go there, you will get a lot of information, and will see some answers to some of your questions. When something is still not clear or detailed enough, then come back here and do like you have this time -- post something on the forum.

The forum is a convenient and fast way to get answers to many of your officiating questions and concerns.

We are glad to have you as part of our forum, and hope you will consider becoming a member of Officiating.com

Just click on
http://www.officiating.com/index.cgi...in_officiating

Jim Dixon
Basketball Editor
[email protected]
Old Sat Jun 02, 2001, 12:06am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Larry --

I also am relatively new and my advice to you at this point would be to look around a little in your local area. Find a ref who has lots of experience and is well respected by a variety of different refs. Go to that person quietly and ask if they would be your mentor. Ask them to come to a few of your games, or watch tape of you working, and then talk about each play afterwards. Be sure you tell them you want to hear the improvements you need as well as what you're doing right. Go to a few of their games, and talk about the same thing -- ask lots of questions!! Never criticize another ref, but just ask the open ended questions, and then listen a lot. You'd be amazed how much you can learn if you listen carefully. Work any games you can get your hands on. You can get a lot of valuable experinece doing 6th grade girls. Watch whatever training tapes you can get ahold of. Think yourself into these tapes and watch yourself do things correctly. m phj p;hu]
,lo0u-]ol0-uloyu00oby]-b0yui90 (editting by my 3 year old!)
If you like it, and want to keep it up, then dont ever think yourself hopeless. Anyone can do this if they will apply some effort, both physical and mental. If I can do it, believe me anyone else can!!! Good luck -- let us know how you're doing. This board is the best encouragement and help you could possibly have!
Old Sat Jun 02, 2001, 02:09pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Exclamation since the topic is...

You wanted a "realistic" view of officiating. Here is part of it. The absolute first thing you need to do is decide whether you are doing this as a hobby, or as a vocation. If it's a hobby, then learn what you can, call the games according to the rules, watch out for player safety and have fun.

If you are more serious and want to "move up the ladder", then go to camps, make certain calls technically incorrect but the way evaluators want them called, make lots of contacts and don't make waves.

I didn't necessarily mean that last part to be sarcastic. I think much of what you have to do to move up is proper and should be done anyway (other than making calls incorrectly because that's how some officials want you to call them), but just like in any profession, sometimes it's who you know that's more important than what you know.
Old Sun Jun 03, 2001, 10:23pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Tim Roden
From a 4th year official, here is the skinny. My experience will not be your experience and will not be the guy setting next to you's experience. Why? only two to three people per game and unless you live someplace that makes you pick a partner to go through the year with you will have a different partner and a different game every night. The start officiating site is great. Remember it was written by a Texan so most of what he says will apply to Texas and a lot but not all will apply where you are. Big city, rural all makes a difference. My advice is to find a mentor as soon as you can and start working the system. Don't listen to the neigh sayers who have worked 20 years and still call mostly JV. Though you will have to when you call a JV game with them. Look for that guy who is calling 80% of his games or more at the varsity level and learn everything he knows. I worked a sophmore game last year with a guy who was working his only non varsity game that year that night. He taught me why the others wern't making it.

When you step onto the floor for the first time in a stripped shirt, it will feel funny. Don't worry, you'll get used to it. Now, I wouldn't want to get on the floor in any other uniform.
Old Tue Jun 05, 2001, 12:58pm
Official Forum Member

Smile

Know the rules, and look sharp. I've watched coaches respond to a poorly dressed official before the game ever starts. The players pick that up too. Make sure you are wearing all black shoes -- not mostly black. If the custom in your area is a spit-shine, then have your shoes glowing. Get the real pants; don't wear black Dockers. You get the idea.

You'll also be told to practice your mechanic in a mirror -- do it! Sometimes I make note of whether my upper arm hits my ear when my hand goes up. That isn't necessary, but I intentionally do that often to ensure I'm not starting to droop. Practice 5- and 10-second counts and check a clock to see how close you are.

Since you'll know the rules, you shouldn't make mistakes. But, make every call like you know it. Don't reject a polite challenge, particularly if there is any doubt. But, when you make a call, be sure that everyone in the gym knows what you called. That doesn't mean to try to steal the show, but blow it loud, use solid proper mechanics, and show confidence, whether it is there or not. Sell the call. (I always sell "player"s. I've had people tell me "That was the strongest 'player' I've ever seen.") A couple of coaches in our youth league have told me "I don't care if they [our youth officials] make the wrong call, as long as I know what call they're making!" Obviously that tolerance only goes so far, but I trust you get the point.

Good luck, and have fun!
Old Tue Jun 05, 2001, 03:06pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to dhodges007 Send a message via Yahoo to dhodges007
Thumbs up I agree...

Quote:
Originally posted by Richard Ogg
Know the rules, and look sharp. I've watched coaches respond to a poorly dressed official before the game ever starts. The players pick that up too. Make sure you are wearing all black shoes -- not mostly black. If the custom in your area is a spit-shine, then have your shoes glowing. Get the real pants; don't wear black Dockers. You get the idea.
If you need to tailor your shirt and make sure your clothes are pressed as well.

Quote:
You'll also be told to practice your mechanic in a mirror -- do it! Sometimes I make note of whether my upper arm hits my ear when my hand goes up. That isn't necessary, but I intentionally do that often to ensure I'm not starting to droop. Practice 5- and 10-second counts and check a clock to see how close you are.

Since you'll know the rules, you shouldn't make mistakes. But, make every call like you know it. Don't reject a polite challenge, particularly if there is any doubt. But, when you make a call, be sure that everyone in the gym knows what you called. That doesn't mean to try to steal the show, but blow it loud, use solid proper mechanics, and show confidence, whether it is there or not. Sell the call. (I always sell "player"s. I've had people tell me "That was the strongest 'player' I've ever seen.") A couple of coaches in our youth league have told me "I don't care if they [our youth officials] make the wrong call, as long as I know what call they're making!" Obviously that tolerance only goes so far, but I trust you get the point.

Good luck, and have fun!
Don't forget to enjoy yourself and have fun. After all, none of us are in it for the money! One of the ways that you will go far is learn how to manage the game; how to talk to the players, coaches, your partners, and take care of your table crew. Hope this all helps.

My two sense!