View Single Post
Old Tue Jun 05, 2001, 03:06pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to dhodges007 Send a message via Yahoo to dhodges007
Thumbs up I agree...

Quote:
Originally posted by Richard Ogg
Know the rules, and look sharp. I've watched coaches respond to a poorly dressed official before the game ever starts. The players pick that up too. Make sure you are wearing all black shoes -- not mostly black. If the custom in your area is a spit-shine, then have your shoes glowing. Get the real pants; don't wear black Dockers. You get the idea.
If you need to tailor your shirt and make sure your clothes are pressed as well.

Quote:
You'll also be told to practice your mechanic in a mirror -- do it! Sometimes I make note of whether my upper arm hits my ear when my hand goes up. That isn't necessary, but I intentionally do that often to ensure I'm not starting to droop. Practice 5- and 10-second counts and check a clock to see how close you are.

Since you'll know the rules, you shouldn't make mistakes. But, make every call like you know it. Don't reject a polite challenge, particularly if there is any doubt. But, when you make a call, be sure that everyone in the gym knows what you called. That doesn't mean to try to steal the show, but blow it loud, use solid proper mechanics, and show confidence, whether it is there or not. Sell the call. (I always sell "player"s. I've had people tell me "That was the strongest 'player' I've ever seen.") A couple of coaches in our youth league have told me "I don't care if they [our youth officials] make the wrong call, as long as I know what call they're making!" Obviously that tolerance only goes so far, but I trust you get the point.

Good luck, and have fun!
Don't forget to enjoy yourself and have fun. After all, none of us are in it for the money! One of the ways that you will go far is learn how to manage the game; how to talk to the players, coaches, your partners, and take care of your table crew. Hope this all helps.

My two sense!