View Single Post
Old Sat Jun 02, 2001, 12:06am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Larry --

I also am relatively new and my advice to you at this point would be to look around a little in your local area. Find a ref who has lots of experience and is well respected by a variety of different refs. Go to that person quietly and ask if they would be your mentor. Ask them to come to a few of your games, or watch tape of you working, and then talk about each play afterwards. Be sure you tell them you want to hear the improvements you need as well as what you're doing right. Go to a few of their games, and talk about the same thing -- ask lots of questions!! Never criticize another ref, but just ask the open ended questions, and then listen a lot. You'd be amazed how much you can learn if you listen carefully. Work any games you can get your hands on. You can get a lot of valuable experinece doing 6th grade girls. Watch whatever training tapes you can get ahold of. Think yourself into these tapes and watch yourself do things correctly. m phj p;hu]
,lo0u-]ol0-uloyu00oby]-b0yui90 (editting by my 3 year old!)
If you like it, and want to keep it up, then dont ever think yourself hopeless. Anyone can do this if they will apply some effort, both physical and mental. If I can do it, believe me anyone else can!!! Good luck -- let us know how you're doing. This board is the best encouragement and help you could possibly have!