View Single Post
Old Fri Jun 01, 2001, 02:20pm
Official Forum Member

Well Larry, I'm rolling up on a completion of my first year, so I can give a relatively fresh piece of input, for what it's worth.

The biggest thing I think you can, no...must do is KNOW THY RULES! Knowing the rules, inside and out, does lots of things for you: gets you out of trouble, keeps you out of trouble, projects confidence to the coaches while you're on the floor, and projects confidence to yourself and your partner.

Of course, the rules are the key to the game, and knowing the rules will help you hone your judgement immensely. If you aren't a competent official, coaches won't want you, 'bad-egg' players will become your worst nightmare, and, most importantly, assigners wont ring your phone.

Now, should you enjoy your advocation as an official, you'll like the challenge (believe me, it's a challenge!) that each game brings, and silly little things like reading the 'Official Forum' to discuss weird happenings during last night's game(s)! Of course, it's all in what you make it, and the attitude that you bring to the table. There's always new things to learn, even if you know all the rules, and it's fun (in a weird sort of way, at least for me) to look at a situation from 5 different angles as we do here and see exactly what the best course of action could be.

Other than that, if you're in a bigger part of town, you could probably officiate 5-6 nites a week if you're available (I wouldn't recomment that, though...), and you'll make enough money to buy yourself and your significant other an ice cream at the end of the week--maybe even with chocolate syrup on top!

Good Luck, and welcome to the 'Official Forum!'