View Single Post
Old Sun Jun 03, 2001, 10:23pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Tim Roden
From a 4th year official, here is the skinny. My experience will not be your experience and will not be the guy setting next to you's experience. Why? only two to three people per game and unless you live someplace that makes you pick a partner to go through the year with you will have a different partner and a different game every night. The start officiating site is great. Remember it was written by a Texan so most of what he says will apply to Texas and a lot but not all will apply where you are. Big city, rural all makes a difference. My advice is to find a mentor as soon as you can and start working the system. Don't listen to the neigh sayers who have worked 20 years and still call mostly JV. Though you will have to when you call a JV game with them. Look for that guy who is calling 80% of his games or more at the varsity level and learn everything he knows. I worked a sophmore game last year with a guy who was working his only non varsity game that year that night. He taught me why the others wern't making it.

When you step onto the floor for the first time in a stripped shirt, it will feel funny. Don't worry, you'll get used to it. Now, I wouldn't want to get on the floor in any other uniform.