The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jan 21, 2006, 01:01am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to fonzzy07
Tonight, as I try to do every friday night I was looking over one specific thing. Tonight was intentional fouls. I understand completly what to give an intentional for, my question is however what does an intentional foul mean. For example a Tech is 2 shots and the ball. What about an intentional?
thanks again guys
Old Sat Jan 21, 2006, 01:14am
In Memoriam

Two shots( or 3 if it's on a missed 3-pointer) with the lanes cleared by the fouled player. Shooting team then gets the ball for a throw-in at the closest spot to where the foul occurred.
Old Sat Jan 21, 2006, 01:26am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to fonzzy07
So its just like a tec except the ball is placed in play at the spot of the foul?
Old Sat Jan 21, 2006, 01:31am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by fonzzy07
So its just like a tec except the ball is placed in play at the spot of the foul?
Almost. There's one other major difference, the person fouled has to shoot the shots versus a T where anyone can shoot the shots.

Also on a player in the act of shooting behind the 3-point line it is THREE shots if the shot doesn't go in as JR mentioned above.
Old Sat Jan 21, 2006, 03:02am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Also, an intentional foul is "just another foul" for the individual's foul count, but a T is somewhat more serious.
Old Sat Jan 21, 2006, 05:42am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Just to clarify in case anyone reading wonders: if the foul ruled intentional is against a shooter and she STILL makes the bucket, she STILL gets 2 MORE shots for the intentional foul, with the appropriate throw-in.

This is one way for a 5-point play, to hit a 3-pointer while being intentionally fouled.

So, to summarize, an intentional foul:

• is worth 2 shots (3 if on a missed 3-point attempt), with the lane cleared

• remains at 2 shots if during a try and the try is successful

• must be shot by the player who was fouled (if that player is injured, the regular substitution rules apply)

• fouled team gets a throw-in nearest where the foul occured

• it is a personal foul, rather than a technical, and counts as 1 personal foul against the 5 permitted

• [Edited by JugglingReferee on Jan 21st, 2006 at 05:47 AM]
    Old Sat Jan 21, 2006, 09:55am
    Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to IREFU2 Send a message via Yahoo to IREFU2
    Quote:
    Tonight, as I try to do every friday night I was looking over one specific thing. Tonight was intentional fouls. I understand completly what to give an intentional for, my question is however what does an intentional foul mean. For example a Tech is 2 shots and the ball. What about an intentional?
    thanks again guys
    If you pick up a copy of the latest Referee Mag, it really explain what "intentional" means. Even if a play makes a play for the ball, the foul can still be deemed intentional. I had one last night in my 3-person game. Excessive contact to neutralize the opponent can be deemed intentional.
    Old Sat Jan 21, 2006, 09:58am
    Official Forum Member

Quote:
    Unless, of course, it's an intentional technical foul.

Old Sat Jan 21, 2006, 10:01am
    Official Forum Member

Quote:
    Originally posted by bob jenkins
    Quote:

Good point.
    Old Sat Jan 21, 2006, 10:23am
    Official Forum Member

Quote:
    Originally posted by IREFU2
    Quote:
    Quote:

Good point.
    What is the proper sequence of officiating mechanics for an intentional technical foul when reporting at table side?

Would an official use both #34 & #36 when reporting?

Do remember, when administering an intentional or technical foul only requires the players to clear the lanes beyond the 3-point arc. The players do not have to stand behind the divisional line at mid-court.

Old Sat Jan 21, 2006, 10:29am
    In Memoriam

Quote:
    Quote:
    thanks again guys
    If you pick up a copy of the latest Referee Mag, it really explain what "intentional" means. Even if a play makes a play for the ball, the foul can still be deemed intentional. I had one last night in my 3-person game. Excessive contact to neutralize the opponent can be deemed intentional.
    Just a note of caution.....

I don't have a clue what interpretation Referee Magaize used in that particular article but it is not an official interpretation. Referee Magazine is noted for printing completely wrong rules answers and interpretations, and then having to retract them in later issues.

Iow, never take anything printed on the rules in Referee mag as gospel. The only official rules interpretations are those issued by the NFHS or a governing state body.
    Old Sat Jan 21, 2006, 01:12pm
    Official Forum Member

To be honest I don't even read the rule questions for the most part from Referee Magazine.
    Old Sat Jan 21, 2006, 01:24pm
    Official Forum Member

Quote:
    Originally posted by johnny1784
    Quote:
    Quote:
    Quote:

Good point.
    What is the proper sequence of officiating mechanics for an intentional technical foul when reporting at table side?

Would an official use both #34 & #36 when reporting?

Do remember, when administering an intentional or technical foul only requires the players to clear the lanes beyond the 3-point arc. The players do not have to stand behind the divisional line at mid-court.
    Just a T. There is NO tangible difference between a generic T and an intentional T. The penalty is exactly the same. I've never called/signaled an intentional T and never will. It's either a T or a flagrant T.
    Old Sat Jan 21, 2006, 03:38pm
    Official Forum Member

Quote:
    Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
    Quote:
    Quote:
    thanks again guys
    Just a note of caution.....

I don't have a clue what interpretation Referee Magaize used in that particular article but it is not an official interpretation. Referee Magazine is noted for printing completely wrong rules answers and interpretations, and then having to retract them in later issues.

Iow, never take anything printed on the rules in Referee mag as gospel. The only official rules interpretations are those issued by the NFHS or a governing state body.
    Point taken, I make sure the interpretation is that which is in the case book as well.
    Old Sat Jan 21, 2006, 06:59pm
    Official Forum Member

Can anyone give me a rules reference for where players must stand when the foul shots are being taken for an intentional or technical foul (nfhs)?

Thanks