The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Intentional Fouls (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/24375-intentional-fouls.html)

fonzzy07 Sat Jan 21, 2006 01:01am

Tonight, as I try to do every friday night I was looking over one specific thing. Tonight was intentional fouls. I understand completly what to give an intentional for, my question is however what does an intentional foul mean. For example a Tech is 2 shots and the ball. What about an intentional?
thanks again guys

Jurassic Referee Sat Jan 21, 2006 01:14am

Two shots( or 3 if it's on a missed 3-pointer) with the lanes cleared by the fouled player. Shooting team then gets the ball for a throw-in at the closest spot to where the foul occurred.

fonzzy07 Sat Jan 21, 2006 01:26am

So its just like a tec except the ball is placed in play at the spot of the foul?

Snake~eyes Sat Jan 21, 2006 01:31am

Quote:

Originally posted by fonzzy07
So its just like a tec except the ball is placed in play at the spot of the foul?
Almost. There's one other major difference, the person fouled has to shoot the shots versus a T where anyone can shoot the shots.

Also on a player in the act of shooting behind the 3-point line it is THREE shots if the shot doesn't go in as JR mentioned above.

rainmaker Sat Jan 21, 2006 03:02am

Also, an intentional foul is "just another foul" for the individual's foul count, but a T is somewhat more serious.

JugglingReferee Sat Jan 21, 2006 05:42am

Just to clarify in case anyone reading wonders: if the foul ruled intentional is against a shooter and she STILL makes the bucket, she STILL gets 2 MORE shots for the intentional foul, with the appropriate throw-in.

This is one way for a 5-point play, to hit a 3-pointer while being intentionally fouled.

So, to summarize, an intentional foul:

<li>is worth 2 shots (3 if on a missed 3-point attempt), with the lane cleared</li>
<li>remains at 2 shots if during a try and the try is successful</li>
<li>must be shot by the player who was fouled (if that player is injured, the regular substitution rules apply)</li>
<li>fouled team gets a throw-in nearest where the foul occured</li>
<li>it is a personal foul, rather than a technical, and counts as 1 personal foul against the 5 permitted</li>

[Edited by JugglingReferee on Jan 21st, 2006 at 05:47 AM]

IREFU2 Sat Jan 21, 2006 09:55am

Quote:

Tonight, as I try to do every friday night I was looking over one specific thing. Tonight was intentional fouls. I understand completly what to give an intentional for, my question is however what does an intentional foul mean. For example a Tech is 2 shots and the ball. What about an intentional?
thanks again guys

If you pick up a copy of the latest Referee Mag, it really explain what "intentional" means. Even if a play makes a play for the ball, the foul can still be deemed intentional. I had one last night in my 3-person game. Excessive contact to neutralize the opponent can be deemed intentional.

bob jenkins Sat Jan 21, 2006 09:58am

Quote:

Unless, of course, it's an intentional technical foul.

IREFU2 Sat Jan 21, 2006 10:01am

Quote:

Originally posted by bob jenkins
Quote:

Good point.

johnny1784 Sat Jan 21, 2006 10:23am

Quote:

Originally posted by IREFU2
Quote:

Quote:

Good point.

What is the proper sequence of officiating mechanics for an intentional technical foul when reporting at table side?

Would an official use both #34 & #36 when reporting?

Do remember, when administering an intentional or technical foul only requires the players to clear the lanes beyond the 3-point arc. The players do not have to stand behind the divisional line at mid-court.

Jurassic Referee Sat Jan 21, 2006 10:29am

Quote:

Quote:

thanks again guys

If you pick up a copy of the latest Referee Mag, it really explain what "intentional" means. Even if a play makes a play for the ball, the foul can still be deemed intentional. I had one last night in my 3-person game. Excessive contact to neutralize the opponent can be deemed intentional.

Just a note of caution.....

I don't have a clue what interpretation Referee Magaize used in that particular article but it is <b>not</b> an official interpretation. Referee Magazine is noted for printing completely wrong rules answers and interpretations, and then having to retract them in later issues.

Iow, <b>never</b> take <b>anything</b> printed on the rules in Referee mag as gospel. The only official rules interpretations are those issued by the NFHS or a governing state body.

Snake~eyes Sat Jan 21, 2006 01:12pm

To be honest I don't even read the rule questions for the most part from Referee Magazine.

Camron Rust Sat Jan 21, 2006 01:24pm

Quote:

Originally posted by johnny1784
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Good point.

What is the proper sequence of officiating mechanics for an intentional technical foul when reporting at table side?

Would an official use both #34 & #36 when reporting?

Do remember, when administering an intentional or technical foul only requires the players to clear the lanes beyond the 3-point arc. The players do not have to stand behind the divisional line at mid-court.

Just a T. There is NO tangible difference between a generic T and an intentional T. The penalty is exactly the same. I've never called/signaled an intentional T and never will. It's either a T or a flagrant T.

IREFU2 Sat Jan 21, 2006 03:38pm

Quote:

Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:

Quote:

thanks again guys

Just a note of caution.....

I don't have a clue what interpretation Referee Magaize used in that particular article but it is <b>not</b> an official interpretation. Referee Magazine is noted for printing completely wrong rules answers and interpretations, and then having to retract them in later issues.

Iow, <b>never</b> take <b>anything</b> printed on the rules in Referee mag as gospel. The only official rules interpretations are those issued by the NFHS or a governing state body.

Point taken, I make sure the interpretation is that which is in the case book as well.

fan Sat Jan 21, 2006 06:59pm

Can anyone give me a rules reference for where players must stand when the foul shots are being taken for an intentional or technical foul (nfhs)?

Thanks