The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jan 21, 2006, 07:06pm
M.A.S.H.

Quote:
Originally posted by fan
Can anyone give me a rules reference for where players must stand when the foul shots are being taken for an intentional or technical foul (nfhs)?

Thanks
8-1-5
Old Sun Jan 22, 2006, 09:20am
Official Forum Member

My rule book is 2002-2003 and it looks like it doesn't have rule 8-1-5. It does have rule 8-1-4. Is rule 8-1-4 the rule you ment to cite or is my book outdated?

Thanks
Old Sun Jan 22, 2006, 10:06am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by fan
My rule book is 2002-2003 and it looks like it doesn't have rule 8-1-5. It does have rule 8-1-4. Is rule 8-1-4 the rule you ment to cite or is my book outdated?

The old 8-1-4 is the new 8-1-5.

Your book is outdated by approximately 16 additional new rules since 2002-03, as well as a whole buncha editorial changes.
Old Mon Jan 23, 2006, 01:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by fan
Can anyone give me a rules reference for where players must stand when the foul shots are being taken for an intentional or technical foul (nfhs)?

Thanks
Look for #246 within "Basic Procedures and Mechanics" of your NFHS Officials Manual.

Old Mon Jan 23, 2006, 03:10pm
M.A.S.H.

I think he wanted players, not officials.
Old Mon Jan 23, 2006, 11:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by fan

Thanks
Rule 8 Free Throw
SECTION 1 FREE-THROW ADMINISTRATION
ART. 1 . . . When a free throw is awarded, the ball shall be placed at the disposal of the free thrower (bounced) by the administering official and the free throw count shall begin. Either or both teams may be charged with a violation.
ART. 2 . . . Following a time out or intermission, the resumption-of-play procedure may be used to prevent delay. The timer will sound the authorized warning horn and final signal. The administering official will sound the whistle to indicate play will resume. The ball shall be placed at the disposal of the thrower or placed on the floor and the count shall begin. Either or both teams may be charged with a violation. Following a violation by one or both teams, if the offending team(s) continues to delay, a technical foul shall be called.

ART. 3 . . . If the ball is to become dead when the last free throw for a specific penalty is not successful, players shall not occupy any spaces along the free-throw lane.
ART. 4 . . . During a free throw when lane spaces may be occupied:

a. Marked lane spaces may be occupied by a maximum of four defensive and two offensive players.
b. The first marked lane spaces (the lane spaces adjacent to the end line) shall be occupied by opponents of the free thrower. No teammate of the free thrower may occupy either of these marked lane spaces.
c. The second marked lane spaces on each side may be occupied by teammates of the free thrower.
d. The third marked lane spaces may be occupied by opponents of the free thrower.

e. The fourth spaces (nearest the free throw line) shall not be occupied and are are not considered marked lane spaces for purposes of Rule 8 and 9-1.
f. Players shall be permitted to move along and across the lane to occupy a vacant space within the limitations listed in this rule.
g. Not more than one player may occupy any part of a marked lane space.

ART. 5 . . . Any player, other than the free thrower, who does not occupy a marked lane space must be behind the free-throw line extended and behind the three-point line.

Since the ball becomes dead following intentional personal or technical FTs, 8-1-3 is enforced and as tjones posted above 8-1-5 controls where the players may be.

Old Tue Jan 24, 2006, 11:15am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by tjones1
I think he wanted players, not officials.
DUH!

Rules: 8-1-3 & 8-1-5.

Procedures and mechanics that apply to the rules: #246.