The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jan 24, 2006, 03:53pm
Official Forum Member

Yes, the scoreboard does show fouls, but this goes back to the brain freeze I referred to in my original post. I didn't think to check the fouls posted on the board at that time. I lost my focus and told the official the wrong thing. That's what I'll have to be much more careful about. Checking the board would be helpful, especially if there isn't anyone keeping a book for the visitors. I'll keep that in mind as well.
I'll check with the coaches/administrators here about an official's shirt. Thanks for all the feedback.
Old Tue Jan 24, 2006, 03:55pm
Official Forum Member

My Trick--

I keep score in our rec league.. and with my limited concentration skills.. I would always find myself thinking.. about a minute after a timeout.. "did I record that timeout?" or "did I record that JP possession switch" and similar type lapses.

By far the best solution is talking out loud to the clock guy.. which helps more than anything.

But since it is rec play, I designed my own scorecard (using Microsoft word/Tables) and I put places in to record the time things that are easily forgotten occur.. so now if I have a question of "did I remember to record that" I can see the time.. and it helps me a lot.

This season I actually printed a bunch of my scoresheets out (on heavy cardstock, since the folding table we use for scorekeeping has this "pebbled" type finish, and is rough to write on) and took it to Kinkos and got it bound into one book for a couple of bucks... now all scoresheets are in one place. It worked out pretty well.

Obviously this is not a practical solution if you use an official scorebook... but it was my partial solution to the problem. If anyone needs a cheap source of scorecards I'd be happy to email mine to you.. and you can print out as many as you like.. and alter it however you wish. Send me your email troytruth@*nospam*yahoo.*nospam*com
Old Tue Jan 24, 2006, 04:05pm
Official Forum Member

Regarding timeouts, I recall seeing a game where the table had large lego blocks of different colors for each team and they would just take blocks off as the timeouts were used so remaining time outs were visible to all. I think it was a high school game. I thought that was quite smart.
Old Tue Jan 24, 2006, 07:24pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Quote:
Originally posted by mopar60
Regarding timeouts, I recall seeing a game where the table had large lego blocks of different colors for each team and they would just take blocks off as the timeouts were used so remaining time outs were visible to all. I think it was a high school game. I thought that was quite smart.
Unless there is a kid in the first row who wants them for his collection.