View Single Post
Old Mon Jan 23, 2006, 05:02pm
Official Forum Member

You should definitely wear a striped/officials shirt. Although I can't site rule number, I believe that official scorers are required to wear one. That will certainly help in making you more visible to the floor crew when communicating.

I echo the previous comments about making eye contact and waiting to record any info. in the scorebook until the official has finished reporting (even if you 110% certain who the foul is on). The suggestion about using hand signals for bonus or double bonus situations when the official first makes eye contact is helpful.

When I am the referee, I instruct the official scorer to let any official know that "the next foul will be #7" when we report foul number six. We can then communicate amongst each other to make sure we do not lose a potential FT shooter or do not award FT's when needed. The same goes for foul #9 ("the next foul will be #10). This may also help you to stay focused on the foul count and prevent any lapses.

The mere fact that you are concerned about avoiding this happening again tells me that you are great to work with during a game. Your interested in doing things right and it's important to you that the game runs smoothly. I can safely assume that I speak for all floor officials when I say: "I'd love to work a game with you on the book!". Kudos to you.....