The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jan 23, 2006, 08:42am
Official Forum Member

My daughter is a starter for the local high school varsity team. Her mother in an experienced coach at another school and keeps the book at my daughters away games. I don't get to see as many of her games as I would like because of my schedule. But when I do; I FIND IT HARD TO SIT WITH THE OTHER PARENTS. A few will ask explanations of calls which I am glad to explain, but most comments are just embarrassing to me as an official. I also hear a lot of "I wish you were reffing this game" to which I reply "One call you don't like and I will get the same treatment you are giving these guys/ladies".

You can bet that a coach, ref, and player all living under the same roof provides some interesting diolog. Fortunately we have learned to co-exist.

To change the subject just a little: Do any of you operate under similar conditions? Got any stories to tell?
Old Mon Jan 23, 2006, 09:37am
Official Forum Member

All youth sports leagues should educate their fans on proper behavior at games. In reality, few even educate the coaches. What to do?

Taking its cue from the New York CHSAA, (often referred to as the best HS basketball conference in the country) our local CYO has recently instituted a sportsmanship ceremony prior to each game. Both teams come out onto the floor at midcourt and face each other. First the CYO philosophy of sportsmanship is read, followed by the Sportsman's prayer. Finally, each team and their coaches shake hands at center court. Then they go out and wreak mayhem on each other.

The impact? I seem to see some increase in civility following the first time this ceremony is run, but it soon becomes an extended bathroom break, and many programs seem to be skipping the ceremony in the interest of saving time.

It's a step in the right direction, but there's a long way to go. Maybe it'll have an effect in the long term.

In the mean time, officiating is no place for the timid or thin-skinned.
Old Mon Jan 23, 2006, 10:09am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jimgolf
All youth sports leagues should educate their fans on proper behavior at games. In reality, few even educate the coaches. What to do?

Taking its cue from the New York CHSAA, (often referred to as the best HS basketball conference in the country) our local CYO has recently instituted a sportsmanship ceremony prior to each game. Both teams come out onto the floor at midcourt and face each other. First the CYO philosophy of sportsmanship is read, followed by the Sportsman's prayer. Finally, each team and their coaches shake hands at center court. Then they go out and wreak mayhem on each other.

d.
CYO in my area has the same type of thing. Before each game there is a prayer, then once the ball is tipped the parents start cursing and yelling like idiots. And most games are played in churches. That is the main reason I do not work CYO any more.
Old Mon Jan 23, 2006, 10:26am
Official Forum Member

I have had parents approach me after games on a few occasions, but nothing physical ever happened. There is very little control of parents in these rec leagues. No matter how hard they try.
I know of an official who is a friend of mine that was assaulted during a game. It was his first season. He was working a girl’s 8th grade game. His partner no showed, so he worked it by himself. Girl’s games at the level can be rough with two officials let alone one inexperienced one. The play was very physical and the parents where all over him. At one point in the third quarter, one of the girls father came out of the stands and shoved the official to the floor. No one cane to his aid. Not the coaches, not the other parents, no one.