View Single Post
Old Sun Jan 22, 2006, 10:26am
Official Forum Member

I too work a lot of BCI and AAU both during the season and the off season. I have three championships this afternoon.

I've never personally been concerned for my safety however I know of at least one instance when a friend of mine was head butted by an irate parent. (I'm not sure what came of it, whether charges were filed or not. I'll phone him later and post a follow up.)

I did get approached during half-time by a relatively famous college football coach whose daughter was playing in a 12 and under game that was being played aggresively. My partner and I were no-calling contact that was being played through and the howlers were howling. Famous dad came toward me with a smile and I'm thinking he may want to say hi or whatever. Instead he barks that we better call fouls and that's his daughter getting hacked. I guess he thought it would make a difference if I had that extra piece of info. I lost what little respect I had for him.

One problem I've had with these BCI/AAU tournament formats is the games can be scheduled too tight. I've had tournament directors say prior to a game that we're running behind and don't call a close game. Then we'll get a 12 and under girls game that's a thug fest. The howlers howl.